BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sarahj
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to do some exploration using the Data Explorer in VA. I know with report designer, you can use custom sort to have a customized sorting/fix sorting of a variable. Is it really not possible to do it while in Data explorer? Been trying to figure it out but I can't seem to find it.

Bar Chart

Bar Chart.PNG

No Sort option when variable is right-clicked on.

No Sort.JPG

By the way, version of VA I'm using is 7.3.

Sarah

11 REPLIES 11
ScottJP
Obsidian | Level 7

Right click on the category in the chart, and you have a sort option in there. 

I'm not sure if custom sorts are available (in the same way as they are in the Designer).

Capture.PNG

sarahj
Calcite | Level 5

I don't have the same options as you have. Here is what's showing in mine.

No Sort (2).JPG

ScottJP
Obsidian | Level 7

I get the same menu as you if I right click on the chart background - you have to right click on the category box..On CLUSTERIDNEW

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

sarahj
Calcite | Level 5

There might be something wrong with my VA as the right click option is the same as when I click on the background and when I click on the box as you have illlustrated.

ScottJP
Obsidian | Level 7

Maybe it's different in 7.3 then - I'm in 7.4 and this different menu is displayed. 

Maybe someone else with 7.3 knows another way, but in 7.4, you would simply right click your category. (Either way, you should think about upgrading to 7.4 already, as there are lots of bug fixes in this update).

sarahj
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Scott! I'll look into that. Would need to consult our team if an upgrade to 7.4 if feasible. If not, I hope someone with 7.3 could give me some enlightenment on this matter.

ScottJP
Obsidian | Level 7

Cool - We've recently upgraded; our SAS dealer did it for us though. Didn't have any issues, and would recommend it.

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

I did a quick test in 7.4 and 7.3 and there does not appear to be any difference in sorting between the two. (There are other good reasons to upgrade, however!)

In my test, the context menu with the Sort option does not appear if a lattice role is assigned, or if you right-click a data item that is assigned to the Group role.

But Sarah's screenshot doesn't seem to show either of those scenarios.

You might want to check with technical support to figure out just what is going on here. Are you using a browser other than IE, Chrome, or Firefox?

Thanks,

Sam

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Sarah, can you check whether sorting is available under the same conditions in the report designer? There are some sorting differences between the explorer and designer.

Thanks,

Sam

sarahj
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the input Sam. The variable wasn't used as lattice or group by so it isn't causing that. I did ask some colleagues of mine to do some testing. And it worked out fine for them. But apparently there were using Chrome. I was using IE. it seems the browser that was used caused it. Maybe there is a set up/options/properties if IE that is causing the malfunction. I just can't figure out what. So I'll use Chrome for now.

Thanks!

Sarah

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for following up, and I'm glad it is working for you in Chrome. Generally Chrome is the browser that works best for VA.

Sam

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation