BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Vaishali1
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello SAS community,

I am SAS certified programmer.  I am looking for advise on how to get my SAS career on path.  My background is in Molecular Biology and I don't use SAS at my work.  I would like to gain experience using SAS.  Would anyone have any suggestions on how I can gain the experience-- would doing volunteer work handling clinical data using SAS be helpful?  Where can I seek out these opportunities?  I would appreciate guidance and advise.

thank you,

Vaishali

12 REPLIES 12
Reeza
Super User

Answer questions here.

Vaishali1
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Reeza for your suggestion.  I will sign up the SAS University Edition.

Is there anything in specific I should look at to get the experience I need?

thank your for your help,

Vaishali 🙂

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Vaishali1 wrote:

Thank you Reeza for your suggestion.  I will sign up the SAS University Edition.

Is there anything in specific I should look at to get the experience I need?

thank your for your help,

Vaishali 🙂

Any question posted here is worth looking into. Some will be out of your ballpark, but the rate of those where you can help will increase with every one that challenged your knowledge and skills.

Just today I learned some interesting facts about PROC EXPAND, although we don't even use it (no ETS license where I work). Applying Maxim 1 for someone else will do that.

Reeza
Super User

@Kurt_Bremser wrote:

A lot of accepted solutions here will look quite nice on your resume.

That's a line item I'd better start adding to my resume then!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Reeza  - I'm wondering if my mineral rating will help too! 😉

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Reeza wrote:

@Kurt_Bremser wrote:

A lot of accepted solutions here will look quite nice on your resume.

That's a line item I'd better start adding to my resume then!

If a link to your Community profile does not immediately ring all available bells, it's hopeless.

Vaishali1
Fluorite | Level 6

thank you mr. Bremser,

I very much appreciate your suggestions - I will have a look into them and see if they would apply to my experience level.

Vaishali 🙂

ballardw
Super User

You might look for local organizations that need help with data and volunteer. Many local non-profits or charitable organizations run on low budgets but need some sort of data help. Mostly it would be more in the form of data management, i.e. creating consistent usable data , and summaries or reporting.

If there is a field you are interested in then find local organizations and see if they have unpaid intern type positions doing something related to your interests.

Vaishali1
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much for your suggestion.  I have inquired at a local non-profit.  This experience will be mostly data management, I will get more information eventually if there is an opportunity available -- but had a question, how do I make this into showing that I have experience using SAS.  All the jobs that I have seeing require couple of years of experience.

thanks,

Vaishali 🙂

BeverlyBrown
Community Manager

Hi @Vaishali1, congratulations on your certification. Your fellow community members have given great advice so far. One other thing you might consider is publishing how-to articles in the SAS Communities Library. SAS employees lead the way in publishing articles, but any member somewhat active in here earns publishing privileges. Here's an article on that: https://communities.sas.com/t5/Community-Memo/3-reasons-why-you-should-write-an-article-for-the-SAS/... And here's an example of articles published by community member @ChrisBrooks: https://communities.sas.com/t5/tag/Free%20Data%20Friday/tg-p/board-id/library. Best of luck to you!

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.
Vaishali1
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Ms. Brown,

thank you very much for your suggestion -- I will take a look into it.

Vaishali 🙂

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 6 in conversation