BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
stevee954
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, SAS community.  The test lab monitor  had a nice big screen but the exam when loaded only used about 70% of screen.  I clicked on top of exam window and had I think 6 resolution options,  e.g. 1280 x 980- that kind of thing- but none of them did anything and i was stuck having to drag things back into view, which of course is extra brain work and stressful.  Ideally i would have made resolution smaller to fit more on the screen.   I felt like asking for a restart until the issue was resolved or even a reschedule but the clock was ticking and I pushed on and narrowly failed the exam.  i took the exam on-site.  The proctor did not know how to resolve my issue.  What options did i have?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark2010
SAS Employee

The exam experience for remote proctoring is very dependent on network quality. WiFi can introduce jitter and delay, and due to it's shared nature, contention with other devices can reduce the available bandwidth below your ISP stated bandwidth. We and Pearson strongly recommend an Ethernet cable for the most stable connection.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
tarheel13
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

you can also take exams at home. I did that but I didn't do predictive modeling. if you take it at home, they have a proctor watch you

stevee954
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks.  I saw a pretty horrible post about a home-proctored exam.    I will stick with the onsite, plus i want to factor out any internet issues.  i will check with Pearson testing about the support issue.

tarheel13
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

taking the exam at home was fine for me. I wouldn't discount it based on one horrible post. 

Mark2010
SAS Employee

The exam experience for remote proctoring is very dependent on network quality. WiFi can introduce jitter and delay, and due to it's shared nature, contention with other devices can reduce the available bandwidth below your ISP stated bandwidth. We and Pearson strongly recommend an Ethernet cable for the most stable connection.

stevee954
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks to both.  i will do onsite.

to rephrase my question:

At the testing site i had  I think a 20 inch monitor or something like that- big- and the test/lab opened as if it were fitting onto a 14 inch monitor.  in other words, it does not detect the monitor on which it is displayed.  It appears it is designed to assume the user does not have a large monitor- fair enough- but would be nice to expand the exam working area if you have the space.

any tips on that?

Mark2010
SAS Employee

There can be some variability in PVUE test centers equipment. We do restrict the delivery of our lab exams to centers with larger monitors. It is definitely odd and very unusual that the exam did not occupy the entire window and I will be reaching out to Pearson about it. We will work with the site, and if they cannot resolve it, we will remove SAS exams from that site.

I was just at a testing center this morning and it had 23" widescreen 16:9 monitors. But it seemed that they had the resolution of the monitor set an old school 4:3 aspect ratio, as the exam appeared stretched left to right. That is something that I will be asking Pearson about as well. 

stevee954
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks so much for following up on this.  I plan to register for another try at the exam for next Friday at Broward Community College (BCC)  but first I am going there  to see if the screen can go full .  Any inquiries you can make will be much appreciated.  

great service on you part!

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation