BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
joelh
Calcite | Level 5

Hi guys

As a new user, I wanted to leave some feedback to the site maintainers regarding my initial user experience of using comminities.sas.com, specifically that I think the communities website is very slow to navigate.

The most important thing first - there is much good content on the communities pages, which I think is awesome!  😁

Okay, on to the parts that can be improved... 😉

My experience of navigating communities.sas.com today and before has been incredibly slow loading times and reloads between all forum actions and page transitions.

I'm a first time poster today, but have been a reader on the communities before, and I have a good fixed internet connection and other websites run just fine for me now and on my previous visits, so I conclude this slowness is communities site itself, and not an issue on my end. 

As a user, it would be very nice if it was possible to look into how to get a more "snappy" experience navigating the forum. I'm okay with actions like posting being a bit slow, but navigating categories and topics when it takes 5-10s between each page transition is painful as you are used to today's modern web pages. 

I've been using latest Chrome on Windows 10 (v. 89 today), but I experience the same slowness with latest firefox.

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Noticed the same thing but have also been having problems with my ISP keeping speeds up even for their speed test site.

So I wasn't sure it was SAS.COM or my ISP.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback @joelh.  We regularly run page-speed tests to measure what the experience should be like.  While we haven't seen any widespread bottlenecks, we know that experience can vary based on geography, caching (or not) in a CDN, and changes in underlying dependencies (such as the header/footer that is pulled from sas.com).

We'll take a closer look and see if there is anything we can do to trim the page load time.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content! Submit your proposals before Sept 16. Accepted presenters get amazing perks to attend the conference!
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@joelh Just wanted to follow up and say that we did fix one bottleneck (caused by a recent change) and that seems to have made a difference in page speed. I hope you're experiencing better response times. We're continuing to look at other ways to improve things.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content! Submit your proposals before Sept 16. Accepted presenters get amazing perks to attend the conference!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation