BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tammy_dezilva
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I'm doing a bit of a cleanup on our mid tier server (old log files) and noticed this temp folder for each of our servers e.g. \Config\Lev1\Web\WebAppServer\SASServer12_1\temp

Is this data really temporary?  i.e. can it be cleared?  All the files have a .tmp extension.  Some of these folders have 30gb of data in them which I would like to clean up if possible but I cannot find information about what they are actually relating to and if it can be cleared.

thanks

Tammy

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Stop your Web Application servers and see if those directories clean up (can take some time, shutting down a jboss or tomcat is a lengthy process). If not, you can remove the files in there. Then start the Web Application servers anew.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @tammy_dezilva

These are temporary files created by the JVM and should be deleted automatically.
Usually I have seen files for last 2_3 days *.tmp mostly under the SASServer1_1 only.
If you have files for more days then as suggessted by @Kurt_Bremser try shutting down the Web App servers and see if they are cleaned.

Kindly do share your experience.

Thanks,
Anand!

tammy_dezilva
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks @Kurt_Bremser and @Anand_V

There is data in all of the folders going back to 2015 and the servers have been rebooted many times since then.  We have a reboot scheduled next week as well, so I might delete some of the really old files now and then see what happens with the newer files after that. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @tammy_dezilva,

whilst Kurt and Anand are right, the server should be automatically cleaned up, my best suggestion to you is to not trust the expected automated actions. I do have custom scripts for maintenance of the web servers and they include the deletion of temp files (work/temp), archive and delete log files and do periodic restarts/heath checks on the JVM and the logs (also with the Environment Manager).

tammy_dezilva
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks all for you comments.  After our servers were rebooted last night, none of these files were cleaned up as suspected.  I will have to create a script to clean them up myself then.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation