BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tammy_dezilva
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I'm doing a bit of a cleanup on our mid tier server (old log files) and noticed this temp folder for each of our servers e.g. \Config\Lev1\Web\WebAppServer\SASServer12_1\temp

Is this data really temporary?  i.e. can it be cleared?  All the files have a .tmp extension.  Some of these folders have 30gb of data in them which I would like to clean up if possible but I cannot find information about what they are actually relating to and if it can be cleared.

thanks

Tammy

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Stop your Web Application servers and see if those directories clean up (can take some time, shutting down a jboss or tomcat is a lengthy process). If not, you can remove the files in there. Then start the Web Application servers anew.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @tammy_dezilva

These are temporary files created by the JVM and should be deleted automatically.
Usually I have seen files for last 2_3 days *.tmp mostly under the SASServer1_1 only.
If you have files for more days then as suggessted by @Kurt_Bremser try shutting down the Web App servers and see if they are cleaned.

Kindly do share your experience.

Thanks,
Anand!

tammy_dezilva
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks @Kurt_Bremser and @Anand_V

There is data in all of the folders going back to 2015 and the servers have been rebooted many times since then.  We have a reboot scheduled next week as well, so I might delete some of the really old files now and then see what happens with the newer files after that. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @tammy_dezilva,

whilst Kurt and Anand are right, the server should be automatically cleaned up, my best suggestion to you is to not trust the expected automated actions. I do have custom scripts for maintenance of the web servers and they include the deletion of temp files (work/temp), archive and delete log files and do periodic restarts/heath checks on the JVM and the logs (also with the Environment Manager).

tammy_dezilva
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks all for you comments.  After our servers were rebooted last night, none of these files were cleaned up as suspected.  I will have to create a script to clean them up myself then.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation