BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

We are currently on SAS 9.4 M5 on RHEL linux servers. Planning to upgrade to SAS 9.4 M7. Have few questions. 

1) Do we need to update the third party software ourselves as a pre-requisite or woudl SAS upgrade take care of it?

2) What configuration files have to be reverted? We have IWA set up for desktop and web applications now. Would any of that be impacted?

3) I learnt about the content assessment that we need to run prior to the upgrade. Is it recommended to run all the tests. Will there be any impact running that assessment on the production. What are the most important tests to run. I know sysem evaluation is one of them. 

Any guidance will be very helpful...Thanks for your time in clarifying!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @RupaJ 

Yes, you are correct for points 1 and 3. For point 2, I checked the SAS Software upgrade guide for Effect on customization and it doesn't mention anything for IWA. I don't think the configuration will be reverted, but if you are looking for a official confirmation you can drop an email to SAS Technical support at support@sas.com

It is recommended to take full backups of the system in-case there is a situation where we need to revert back.

Effect on Customizations 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @RupaJ 

Will you be performing upgrade in place, full migration using SMU or partial using promotion?

My answers to your questions:

1) What third party software are you referring to, Can you share some examples? If you mean SAS provided data servers, web servers etc, then they will be upgraded using SAS Wizard. You don't have to worry about them. If there are any specific software required for a particular SAS solution, then I would suggest you read the pre-requirements document for the solution.

2) I don't think you will have to revert any configuration files, unless there is some custom configuration developed and deployed at your site. Take note that any changes to the configuration files like SASV9.cfg, setenv.sh, server.xml will be overwritten during the upgrade. It's better to take a backup of these changes.

3) Yes it's recommended to run the content assessment tool. If you are looking for partial promotion SAS9 Inventory can help you list all the different type of objects in your deployment.

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello @Anand_V 

Thanks for your response and I apologize for not getting back to your questions. So we are planning a upgrade in place from SAS 9.4 M5 to M7. 

1) I was wondering about the Java JRE component or any things else that I am not aware of. However going through the document, looks like SAS upgrade will take care of it. 

2) We have IWA set up for Desktop and web applications. I was wondering if any of that configuration would be reverted with the upgrade. I would be backing up the related files, however it's a pain to fix the IWA if it stops working after the upgrade. 

3) Thanks. Yes, I am running the Content assessment tool. I am skipping the code check and publish access content as that is related to SAS viya and we don't have on our servers. 

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @RupaJ 

Yes, you are correct for points 1 and 3. For point 2, I checked the SAS Software upgrade guide for Effect on customization and it doesn't mention anything for IWA. I don't think the configuration will be reverted, but if you are looking for a official confirmation you can drop an email to SAS Technical support at support@sas.com

It is recommended to take full backups of the system in-case there is a situation where we need to revert back.

Effect on Customizations 

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you @Anand_V . Appreciate your time in clarifying my questions. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation