BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8

I'm trying to understand what is a Web Infrastructure Platform scheduling service that runs on middle tier.

is it something that is used to by webapps to schedule flows?

How it works in the background?

What is its purpose?

etc.

I'm having hard luck in finding its documentation, could someone point me to the documentation or explain in a detailed way about WIP scheduling services in my post?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
1. WIP Scheduling Services runs on SASServer1, so starting and stopping it would be done there by stopping/starting SASServer1.
2. Yes, it is a web application on SASServer1.
3. If the solution opts to make this an option, yes.
4. No, it does not need to be separately configured.
5. It is a web application so SASServer1_1's catalina.out, server.log and the WIPServices log in Lev1/Web/Logs/SASServer1_1 would be the associated log files.
6. Process Manager accepts job submissions through a TCP connection to it's port (1966 by default). The WIP Scheduling Service submits jobs through a connection to Process Manager on that port.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
The purpose of WIP Scheduling Services is to make scheduling available generally through the middle tier so solutions can schedule their jobs without needing to have information on how to schedule to any given scheduler themselves (i.e. a scheduling API). The documentation on scheduling in a particular solution would be in that solution's documentation, behind the scenes they would make use of this service.
--
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you very much! I just have some more questions below.

How do we administer WIP scheduling services like start/stop?

is it tied with any mid tier component like webapp/webserver, locator etc.?

Does the solution be able to choose which scheduler (PPM, in-process, etc.)
be used for scheduling?

Does WIP scheduling service need any configuration when the environment is
setup initially?

is there a log/configuration folder available for WIP scheduling services
incase if any troubleshooting is needed?

How does the WIP scheduling service submit schedules to PPM (I mean the
internal process happens within SAS after it receives schedule flow
requests from a solution)?

Thanks in advance!!!
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
1. WIP Scheduling Services runs on SASServer1, so starting and stopping it would be done there by stopping/starting SASServer1.
2. Yes, it is a web application on SASServer1.
3. If the solution opts to make this an option, yes.
4. No, it does not need to be separately configured.
5. It is a web application so SASServer1_1's catalina.out, server.log and the WIPServices log in Lev1/Web/Logs/SASServer1_1 would be the associated log files.
6. Process Manager accepts job submissions through a TCP connection to it's port (1966 by default). The WIP Scheduling Service submits jobs through a connection to Process Manager on that port.
--
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you very much @gwootton!
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
@gwootton
SAS WIP SOAP service is as same as SAS WIP scheduling services? or a different one?
If it is different, does it also run on SASServer1_1?
does it need to be started/stopped separately?
does it require any separate configuration?
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
The SOAP service is different from scheduling services, but both are part of the Web Infrastructure Platform (WIP) that runs on SASServer1_1. SASWIPSoapServices is it's own web application.

It is still started/stopped by starting/stopping SASServer1 and does not require configuration outside of the normal deployment process.
--

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation