BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Just wanted to know where I can find host name os details in SAS VA.

I know all the host are defined under etc/gridhosts file. 

Can you also advise whcih server should be installded on each host as part of SAS VA?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
anja
SAS Employee

Hi

The doc provides you with pre-install steps, "in between" steps and a "what is next".

If this is not what you are looking for, and no one else might have any input or any write up on a precise

step by step install, I'd recommend that you contact Tech Sup. They might have some more precise documentation.

One thing I'd like to say tho:

Installing VA is a pretty sensitive matter, as not only the hardware has to fit precisely, but the install and config

has to be done correct as well, even more so if it is a distributed install.

I am stressing this so much (assuming that SAS Professionl Services is not involved?) because I worked with

customers who did a VA install on their own, which - espacially in a distributed environment - did not go over

very well, cost more money and more headache afterwards, users couldn't start working with it.

There are many components, such as LASR, that have to be configured very carefully so

you can use the full capability of VA.

As a best practice, working with SAS Professional Services or Education is a good way to address a VA install.

Another option is to contact your SAS Account Executive to talk about options.

As mentioned earlier, Tech Sup might be the best first step. They will not walk you through an install, but might

have some documents or papers they can point you too.

Hope this helps.

Best

Anja

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You haven't provided any context to your questions so its hard to give you the answers you want.

Are you starting a SAS VA install? If so you should be going or have gone through a design process which defines all of the hardware and software configuation in your install. That means deciding on the OS (looks like linux in your case) and if you are going distributed (multiple App servers) or non-distributed (one App server). Then you decide if you want to run the SAS metadata, mid-tier, and app servers on separate physical servers or not. There is no right or wrong here just different options.

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for quick response.

Yes I am going to install the SAS VA 7.3 on Distributed mode and os is linux. 

Hardware details :

16 cores LASR size

CPU 4 cores in each instance.

RAM 16 GB / core.

Pl advise

anja
SAS Employee
japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks Anja,

I have gone through above link but not not able to understand where we defining/lnking the hostnames during installation.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @japsas100, jap,

I think you missed an important detail on the document provided by @anja:

Under "Pre-Installation: Setting Up Users,Groups, and Ports" and the sub-paragraph "Controlling User Access to Hosts" you get all the information you need regarding the hosts. Basically, you will need the "SAS High-Performance Analytics Infrastructure 3.5: Installation and Configuration Guide" which can be found at http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/hp-analytics-infrastructure/index.html

For correct sizing of the nodes, if you had not got an official sizing by SAS, I would definetely contact the SAS Enterprise Excellent Center.

Edited: removed the comment regarding sizing. 16 RAM per core seems quite good enough for starters

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks .....Could you share any document which have end to end sas va instation on distributed mode?

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

I don;t think that kind of information is share-able, since it would include sensible information.

If you want, you can always try to speak with SAS Technical Support or your SAS Account Manager. 

anja
SAS Employee

Hi

The doc provides you with pre-install steps, "in between" steps and a "what is next".

If this is not what you are looking for, and no one else might have any input or any write up on a precise

step by step install, I'd recommend that you contact Tech Sup. They might have some more precise documentation.

One thing I'd like to say tho:

Installing VA is a pretty sensitive matter, as not only the hardware has to fit precisely, but the install and config

has to be done correct as well, even more so if it is a distributed install.

I am stressing this so much (assuming that SAS Professionl Services is not involved?) because I worked with

customers who did a VA install on their own, which - espacially in a distributed environment - did not go over

very well, cost more money and more headache afterwards, users couldn't start working with it.

There are many components, such as LASR, that have to be configured very carefully so

you can use the full capability of VA.

As a best practice, working with SAS Professional Services or Education is a good way to address a VA install.

Another option is to contact your SAS Account Executive to talk about options.

As mentioned earlier, Tech Sup might be the best first step. They will not walk you through an install, but might

have some documents or papers they can point you too.

Hope this helps.

Best

Anja

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks Anja

ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

I think you will be best served by contacting Technical Support so they can give you detailed information and help: http://support.sas.com/en/technical-support.html#contact-technical-support

Best of luck to you,

Shelley

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation