BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
senu188
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

My jobs are become slow after AMP and restart of SAS server. We have removed the AMP now, But we see still slowness Small jobs take 3-5 mins extra. But main concerns are large jobs take 1 hr to 1hr 30 mins extra. when we contact the network team they are saying no performance issue. when we see CPU and Memory it is normal < 50 %. so now what i can check and make performance well .

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Compare SAS logs from before and after your SAS server restart. What steps are slower? If IO-intensive processes like sorts and queries are slower then IO could be your problem.

I'd also check SAS Environment Manager for any resource bottlenecks. Are there any warnings relating to slow performance?

senu188
Quartz | Level 8
Hi,

Sorry i went outside . so there is delay in reply. How to check the below

I'd also check SAS Environment Manager for any resource bottlenecks. Are there any warnings relating to slow performance?

i could see there is time taken ceratain data update in SAS work drive. How to solve this?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@senu188 wrote:
Hi,

Sorry i went outside . so there is delay in reply. How to check the below

i could see there is time taken ceratain data update in SAS work drive. How to solve this?

It isn't clear what you mean by your last sentence. Of course updating your SAS WORK drive will take time. But does that mean it is slower than before or something else? If you want better disk performance you will need to talk to your server administrators to see if there is anything they can do.

senu188
Quartz | Level 8
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. How to check SAS Environment Manager for any resource bottlenecks. Are there any warnings relating to slow performance?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Environment Manager raises alerts which show on the server dashboards if certain performance metrics are exceeded - you just click on them to view what they are. It is up to you to interpret their significance though. In my experience having just one or two alerts per day isn't a problem. It is when they start repeating every hour that you start worrying.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @senu188 

As already suggested by @SASKiwi best way is to compare SAS logs of the runs taking more time with the previous logs to see what section of the code is taking more time. If you need more detailed stats of each step you can enable SAS option "FULLSTIMER" before running the code again.

Network, File-system bottlenecks are common scenarios that can cause slowness or performance issues while running SAS jobs. It's also a good check to see if there has been any change in these resources including the data volume to understand the cause of slowness.

If your site has SAS Environment Manager installed and configured you can use it to see historic data on which resource is causing issues. Please refer to the user guide to understand how to navigate and get the information you are looking for.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation