BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tausendSASsa
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

i implemented groups for user permissions in Active Directory, the users all have adminstrator permissions on the server through the groups, but in SAS they are not allowed to act like they have administrator permissions.

If I directly give them the Administrator permission on the Windows Server, without going the way of allocating the users to a certain group, they are able to perform the tasks in SAS, they weren't able to do before.

Does anyone had this kind of situation before? I don't know why it does not work with the Group Permissions?

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @tausendSASsa,

I am not quite sure about the content of your problem and question (we might need some additional information of specification), but I am going to give it a try.

- If you speak about file system permissions, we are not Windows experts. Although our experience can give some direction. What I can tell you is that W2012 changed a bit the permissions. Somehow to include a group or person in the group Local Administrators, will provide the required grants on most of the configurations, but for the filesystem you will still need to set a group (different one) with the right Explicit permissions on the folders or drives. Do not trust completely the permissions on the local Administrators group set on file system.

- If you speak about the application and the SAS metadata, you would need to use the SAS Management Console as Administrator user (sasadm@saspw if you do not have another personal account) to grant the permissions. A basic action is to add the users you need to the SAS Administrators group, but beware this grants full permissions. 

For further information I would recommend you to read:

- SAS® Contextual Analysis documentation: http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/ca/ , specially the Administration Guide.

- And the SAS® 9.4 Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bisag/68240/PDF/default/bisag.pdf

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @tausendSASsa,

I am not quite sure about the content of your problem and question (we might need some additional information of specification), but I am going to give it a try.

- If you speak about file system permissions, we are not Windows experts. Although our experience can give some direction. What I can tell you is that W2012 changed a bit the permissions. Somehow to include a group or person in the group Local Administrators, will provide the required grants on most of the configurations, but for the filesystem you will still need to set a group (different one) with the right Explicit permissions on the folders or drives. Do not trust completely the permissions on the local Administrators group set on file system.

- If you speak about the application and the SAS metadata, you would need to use the SAS Management Console as Administrator user (sasadm@saspw if you do not have another personal account) to grant the permissions. A basic action is to add the users you need to the SAS Administrators group, but beware this grants full permissions. 

For further information I would recommend you to read:

- SAS® Contextual Analysis documentation: http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/ca/ , specially the Administration Guide.

- And the SAS® 9.4 Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bisag/68240/PDF/default/bisag.pdf

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation