BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kaushalsolanki
Quartz | Level 8

Hello All,

Can any one guide me on how to migrte from SAS 9.1 to SAS 9.4, Here we are also have OS version upgradation 

from Windows server 2003 to Windows server 2012.

SAS Products are as mention below.

• SAS® BASE Product
  • SAS®/GRAPH
  • SAS®/FSP
  • SAS®/AF
  • SAS®/SHARE
  • SAS®/CONNECT
  • SAS®/SHARE*NET
  • SAS®/InterNet
  • SAS®/Integration Technologies
  • SAS®/ACCESS Interface to OLE DB

Regards,

Kaushal Solanki

12 REPLIES 12
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The first answer would be: Check the migaration papers.   You are geting confused of those?

In your list is no metadataserver no Eguide just integration technologies. When you can confirm no metadata.... please say yes.
I know the setting "no" is more difficult.   Just trying the eliminate options.

The yes option:

This is classic SAS  

- just install the new version. Tt can be done on the same system according peacefull coexistance.

- test while migrating your code (new versions) and data running by the new SAS version      

---->-- ja karman --<-----
kaushalsolanki
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Ja karman,

Thank you for your guidance.

We are looking through migrating documents, One thing i am confused with is currently we are having SAS 9.1 on Windows server with 32 bit version and we want to migrate it to windows server 2012 with 64 bit version so what are the things that we should consider in migration process.

Regards,

Kaushal Solanki

kaushalsolanki
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Ja karman,

Thank you for your guidance.

We are looking through migrating documents, One thing i am confused with is currently we are having SAS 9.1 on Windows server with 32 bit version and we want to migrate it to windows server 2012 with 64 bit version so what are the things that we should consider in migration process.

Regards,
Kaushal Solanki

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

With the bitness difference (going form 32 to 64) for SAS:

- Proc cport cimport will not work for SAS-catalogs. Youe will need SAS/Connect for that. Proc migrate is needing that one also.
- Using MS-office (excel) you will need the 64-bit version not the 32-bit.

An escape can be PS-filessever in 32-bit mode wiht a MS-Office 32-bit one,

- Drivers (ACCESS) should be the same bitness as SAs (in your case the 64-bit ones in the new version).

Often it is possible to have 32-bit and 64-bit drivers on the same machine.

The least interesting part is the sas-data / sas-datasets. Going to a new SAS version all old sas-datasets are bevoming foreign.

The native format (CEDA) is the one belonging to the version on the OS on the machine in that bitness.

Foreign sas-datasets can be read/written wiht some overhead. Only one exception on that approach. That is modify sas-datasets in place wiht locking (like rdbms) 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
One major thing to lookout for, change in bit. But I think if you are on a server SAS you probably already using 64.
Many of the products listed are really V8 technology. Consider a migration to a newer platform (Metadata server, stored process, thin clients like SAS Studio).
Data never sleeps
Ksharp
Super User

Check :
PROC MIGRATE
PROC CPORT
PROC CIMPORT

At last, you can change data between two computer via TEXT,CSV files .

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

With cport cimport you can not migratie from latin- to urf and you cannot migrate back to a lower level.
This is all possible using SAS/connect. SAS connect is hidden in in proc migratie for some of those reasons.

Why overcomplicating things? 

maggiem_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Kaushal Solanki, for a non-metadata-based deployment, SAS provides a basic planning worksheet. It guides you through an inventory of your system, possible issues, and best practices:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/plan.html

Many thanks!

Maggie M

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Maggiem
In the long planning list.. Missing is this one:

Do you need backward compatiblity that is running code in an older SAS version whil using the newer one.?
In an very strict segregation development test (funtional/acpt) for the SAS applications the time line can be this one is needed.
The production environment isn't allowed to be migrated without full reliable testing done first.
When developing/testing is migrated nothing can be changed (even emergency changes) in the production environment.

Requiring a bing-bang migration is often ending in a big-bang (fail)   

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

hope i didn't overlook it, but i think you did not answer whether this is a metadata server or non-metadata server

environment that has to be migrated. Could you please let me know as there are significant differences.

Thanks

Anja

kaushalsolanki
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Anja,

This is a Metadata Server environment that needs to be migrated.

Regards,

Kaushal Solanki

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

A very nice paper is: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings15/SAS1801-2015.pdf  

Best Practices for Upgrading from SAS® 9.1.3 to SAS® 9.4   David Stern, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation