BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
zahidhasandipu
Calcite | Level 5

What could be an example where a planned contrast might be preferable to a standard post hoc test like Tukey?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I know this is going to sound kind of rude, but a preplanned contrast is always preferable to a post hoc test, no matter which post hoc test is chosen.  Preplanned contrasts use your prior knowledge of comparisons of interest and so are more powerful than post hoc tests, which are essentially throwing all the comparisons you could possibly make into a pot, and seeing which rise to the top.  Something I learned in grad school: Tukey was a guru of exploratory analysis, thus consider any post hoc test (especially one name for Tukey) as exploratory.  That leaves preplanned contrasts as confirmatory.  Does that make sense at all?

SteveDenham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I know this is going to sound kind of rude, but a preplanned contrast is always preferable to a post hoc test, no matter which post hoc test is chosen.  Preplanned contrasts use your prior knowledge of comparisons of interest and so are more powerful than post hoc tests, which are essentially throwing all the comparisons you could possibly make into a pot, and seeing which rise to the top.  Something I learned in grad school: Tukey was a guru of exploratory analysis, thus consider any post hoc test (especially one name for Tukey) as exploratory.  That leaves preplanned contrasts as confirmatory.  Does that make sense at all?

SteveDenham

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Typically, one uses a CONTRAST statement to test the hypothesis that 

b1*level1 + b2*level2 + b3*level3 ... is equal to zero

Note that if all of the b1 b2 b3 ... are 0 or +1 or –1, you would not use a CONTRAST statement at all, as these can usually be handled via LSMEANS or SLICE. The only real use (in my mind) of a CONTRAST statement is for the case where you don't have all b1 b2 b3 equal to –1, 0, +1, such as

0.5*level1 – 1.0*level2 + 0.5*level3 ...

which tests to see if (the average of the means of level1 and level3) is equal to the mean of level2 (if that is a meaningful thing to you)

By the way, @zahidhasandipu, your title and the text of your message seem to be completely unrelated. I have responded to your title while @SteveDenham has responded to the text of your message.

--
Paige Miller
zahidhasandipu
Calcite | Level 5

I was looking for an example where a planned contrast might be preferable to a standard post hoc test, apologies for the wrong title!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation