BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
manjot1
Calcite | Level 5

How to create YTD Calculations for fiscal year in SAS VA 7.4? I have data from April 16 -  March - 18.

4 REPLIES 4
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

As far as I know, it cannot be done easily in 7.4.

In 8.2 and later, it can be done easily because the CumulativePeriod operator lets you set the starting point for the outer interval (e.g., the first month for each year).

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I think you can do it by adding a fiscal year category to your data prior to loading it into your LASR library. How would you want it formatted? Maybe a character column like 2016/17, 2017/18? You could then base summary reports based on this category.

manjot1
Calcite | Level 5
Hi SASKiwi,

On creating Year column as 2016/17 and 2017/18 as part of data preparation I can achieve YTD for those years, but on selecting any particular month as a filter I want a column to give running total for that month, for example if I select June as Month then the YTD Column should give me a sum of April, May and June Sales, but it only gives sales  for June Month as output.

Can that be achieved using Relative Period or Cumulative Period, if yes please provide an example.

I tried Cumulative Period as shown in the below screenshot, but it gives missing values in most for February and March months. (Please tell why it is not showing values for Feb and March as they are present in the data.) 

Also let me know if the same can be achieved in SAS VA 7.3 and how?

YTD Cal.JPG
SASKiwi
PROC Star

As far as I'm aware you won't be able to use the CumulativePeriod functionality for this. If your input data is one row per month then you should be able to calculate YTD measures prior to loading into LASR. If your input data has multiple rows per month then it gets a lot trickier. What does your input data look like?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation