BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DreLo
Calcite | Level 5

Good afternoon

i have a dataset in record layout format. Each record contains a text response (Response) from a client along with other variables to describe the client (name, stakeholder_type, location, language... - see attachment for sample data). I'm trying to prepare a word cloud to show the prevalence of the words from the Response variable however its treating the response as a string (see image below). Is there an easy way for the software to treat the words within a variable instead of the entire variable as a string.

Thank you

Snapshot of Frequency of Response_Eng 02-22-2019 at 2.05.49 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
6 REPLIES 6
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello DreLo,

What version of VA do you have?

Thanks,

Sam

DreLo
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Sam

I'm using the SAS Viya Trial. We have purchased the VIya cloud-based software but we don't have access yet so we are using the trial.

Thank you

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Have you tried using the Text Topics object? Text Topics analyzes individual words (or sometimes phrases), although it also does some grouping into topics.

To use Text Topics, you need to have a column in your table that uniquely identifies each row. It should be fairly simple to create one in your data preparation if you don't have one.

Here is the doc for Text Topics:

https://go.documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=vacdc&cdcVersion=8.3&docsetId=vaobj&docsetTarget=p061hi0pikj...

DreLo
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you Sam. This gave me exactly what I was looking for and more. Its very convenient to have the topics and the word cloud available in that view rather than building this in the Build Model section.
Cheers
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Glad to hear it! Thanks for following up here 🙂

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation