BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TimStettner
Fluorite | Level 6
I often have to build reports for unexeperienced audiences, where you have to describe and explain a lot about every figure or KPI you show.

I would find it helpful if I could bring that descriptions in the mouse over field, where the tip texts are shown.

Does anyone know a way to bring free text to that field?
My only idea is to write text in a calculated item, but that seems to be very messy in memory, isn‘t it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Using a calculated item is probably not a bad idea and given it's not actually persisted in your data but rather than just a report item. You also have the flexibility to adjust the popover text easily by updating the item formula along with the ability to potentially included other items value to create a more generic help text.

Alternatively you could look into 'hidden' pages. VA allows dialogs ('info windows') to be shown based on hidden pages when in view mode. You could use a button or image (help icon?) to trigger the dialog to be shown (create a page interaction). Given it's a page - you could design more complex help popups (e.g. using text and image objects) this way.

Hope this helps. Falko

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Using a calculated item is probably not a bad idea and given it's not actually persisted in your data but rather than just a report item. You also have the flexibility to adjust the popover text easily by updating the item formula along with the ability to potentially included other items value to create a more generic help text.

Alternatively you could look into 'hidden' pages. VA allows dialogs ('info windows') to be shown based on hidden pages when in view mode. You could use a button or image (help icon?) to trigger the dialog to be shown (create a page interaction). Given it's a page - you could design more complex help popups (e.g. using text and image objects) this way.

Hope this helps. Falko

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation