BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rvsaicharan0
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

In New version SAS Visual Analytics 8.4 i have created a parameter with name 'country' and while passing value to the parameter through url is not working but after closer look SAS is assigning an internal name to the parameter lets say for country SAS assigned an internal parameter like pr121 and passing the value to pr121 through url is working fine. Wanted to know if this a new kind of implementation in VA 8.4 or it is a bug because i have almost 32 parameters which i need to pass through url  and taking the internally assigned name for the paramters will be cumbersome. wanted to know if there is any workaround for that

Thank you 

8 REPLIES 8
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Are you using the Copy Link feature that enables you to select the parameter and enter a default value that will be added to the URL? I tested this and it is working as expected for me. This is true even though the parameter is referenced by its ID in the URL. 

rvsaicharan0
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Madelyn

You mean to say even if I don't use copy link feature and manually append the URL then I must give parameter I'd referenced by sas rather than the name which I have used while creating the parameter.

And I remember this was not the case in 8.3 where I used to give the parameter name in the URL rather than I'd 

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You are correct. The 8.4 documentation clearly says that the parameter is referenced by its ID. I do not see that in the 8.3 documentation.

"Specify the parameter data item name and value using the format parameter-name=value. For example, if your report has a parameter named pr75, then you might specify pr75=Europe to set the parameter value to Europe. Parameter names and values are case sensitive.

Note: The parameter name that you specify is an internal value that is not easy for an end user to determine. It is easiest to add a parameter to your report URL in the Copy Link window."

So, beginning with 8.4, you will need to use the Copy Link feature to generate the URL so that the parameter references are auto-generated. 

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

What Madelyn says above is correct.

As I understand it, this change is due to implementation differences between SAS Report Viewer and the main SAS Visual Analytics application. Only SAS Report Viewer was capable of accepting parameters by name in the URL.

When I asked about this during the 8.4 release cycle, I was told that it would be non-trivial to add the feature. But please go here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/idb-p/sas_ideas/label-name/sas%20visual%20analyt... and create a new "idea" (feature request) to ask for this functionality in future releases.

I am certain the development team did not anticipate that users would supply 32 parameters in the URL!

Thanks,

Sam

ameenonline
Calcite | Level 5

any work arround for this I need to pass the parameter by its name in order to integrate with other system

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

In Viya 4 releases of Visual Analytics (2020.1.1 and later), we support specifying parameters by their name. Upgrading to a newer release should help.

ameenonline
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Sam , currently we are on
SAS vA 8.5 and viya 3.5
Is there a newer version avaliable?
Our management interested to have more details please.
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello @ameenonline.,

Yes, Viya 4 ships a stable update each month and a Long Term Support release at a longer interval.  See What's New in SAS Visual Analytics to see the changes.

Your organization's SAS support or sales contact should be able to help you update to a newer release.

Sam

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation