BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Genesis007
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everybody,

I need some help for one report I made.

Genesis007_0-1666716255287.png

in the column highlighted in yellow I have a data item that contains the AVG function.

When I display the Total, the system give me an average of all my datas, and I would like the sum of them.
How can I obtain this result ?

Thanks in advance.

Michel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HunterT_SAS
SAS Employee

If you're using SAS 9.4 and Visual Analytics 7.5, there is not going to be a great solution here. It will not do a double aggregation like you're looking for (average first, then sum the averages). You would need to precreate this in another table so that the table has a data item for the average already, and then VA will treat it like any standard measure and sum it or whatever you wanted.

If you have Viya 3.5 or Viya 4, there are two ways to achieve this. 

The first is to create an aggregated datasource that uses your calculated item for average. The new datasource that gets created in your report will effectively be a standard measure, then you can add it to some table and the totals will sum it by default. More details on aggregated datasource can be found here (link to VA 8.5 for example):
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/vacdc/8.5/vareportdata/n1o2pvak2xw7jln13a2mxkytdmm4.htm

The second method is to create a new calculated item using the AggregateTable function. This function allows you to essentially create an aggregated table behind the scenes for that calculation and use it within your report objects. For example using CARS data, let's say I want to get Average MPG for certain car types. If I create a normal aggregated measure like you've done:

HunterT_SAS_0-1666792110747.png

Then I end up in the same spot as you, my total is actually an overall average and not the sum of the averages:

HunterT_SAS_1-1666792144621.png

But using the AggregateTable function, I can do this:

HunterT_SAS_2-1666792175043.png

And this is really saying I want a table using Type and MPG (Highway) where MPG is averaged, then I want to Sum that when used in tables and graphs. In that same example, it looks like this:

HunterT_SAS_3-1666792709445.png

You can see the averages per type match, so that number is right, but totals are different. The AggregateTable calculated item will sum it up. This approach will require you to include a specific category in the calculation like Type in my example, but should be able to get you closer to what you're looking for as long as it includes all of those categories I see in your crosstab.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Genesis007,

I am not sure fi I 100% understood, how your column is defined. But in the Data pane (here a screen shot out of Visual Analytics 7.5 you can select the column and set the "Aggregatiion:" to "Sum":

Bild2 (2).png

Best,

Markus

Please keep the community friendly.
Like posts you agree with or like. Mark helpful answers as “accepted solutions”. Generally have a look at https://communities.sas.com/t5/Getting-Started/tkb-p/community_articles
Genesis007
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Markus, thanks for your answer.
I'm sorry but my explanation is not clear enough. The column in yellow contains an aggregated field through an average. When I display the totals in my table, the tool shows me the total average, and in fact I just want the sum of all the values contained in my column.
MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Genesis007, so the only number you want to have changed is the 495 in your example? (Replaced by something like 66.743?)

Like posts you agree with or like. Mark helpful answers as “accepted solutions”. Generally have a look at https://communities.sas.com/t5/Getting-Started/tkb-p/community_articles
Genesis007
Obsidian | Level 7
That's it ! 😉
MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

Could you please send a screen shot of the formula of the calculated item?

Genesis007
Obsidian | Level 7

Genesis007_0-1666777799740.png

Here is my formula.

MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

It's a tricky one. As VA chooses the kind of total aggregation of the aggregated column automatically, the only chance is to "outwit" VA. In VA 7.5 I  managed to do it in an example:

Bild1 (3).png

The "Calc" column looks as follows:

Bild5 (2).png

So:

column "Calc" contains aggregated Averages, as I choose an if-clause which is always true.

But in the total aggregation of the column the sum of all data is used and not the average.

It looks as VA chooses the kind of aggregation for the total aggregation, which is used last in the formula for the aggregated column.

As this is based only on observations and no SAS-documentation, I would use it only under conditions, where I can check the results before forwarding them.

Genesis007
Obsidian | Level 7
I've tried your tips, but, sadly it's not working.
MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

Sorry, I was happy that I found it at least for VA 7.5

MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

@Genesis007 ,

I just posted a general question to my approach :

Controling the totaling method for aggregated colu... - SAS Support Communities

Maybe someone else knows about a general rule.

HunterT_SAS
SAS Employee

If you're using SAS 9.4 and Visual Analytics 7.5, there is not going to be a great solution here. It will not do a double aggregation like you're looking for (average first, then sum the averages). You would need to precreate this in another table so that the table has a data item for the average already, and then VA will treat it like any standard measure and sum it or whatever you wanted.

If you have Viya 3.5 or Viya 4, there are two ways to achieve this. 

The first is to create an aggregated datasource that uses your calculated item for average. The new datasource that gets created in your report will effectively be a standard measure, then you can add it to some table and the totals will sum it by default. More details on aggregated datasource can be found here (link to VA 8.5 for example):
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/vacdc/8.5/vareportdata/n1o2pvak2xw7jln13a2mxkytdmm4.htm

The second method is to create a new calculated item using the AggregateTable function. This function allows you to essentially create an aggregated table behind the scenes for that calculation and use it within your report objects. For example using CARS data, let's say I want to get Average MPG for certain car types. If I create a normal aggregated measure like you've done:

HunterT_SAS_0-1666792110747.png

Then I end up in the same spot as you, my total is actually an overall average and not the sum of the averages:

HunterT_SAS_1-1666792144621.png

But using the AggregateTable function, I can do this:

HunterT_SAS_2-1666792175043.png

And this is really saying I want a table using Type and MPG (Highway) where MPG is averaged, then I want to Sum that when used in tables and graphs. In that same example, it looks like this:

HunterT_SAS_3-1666792709445.png

You can see the averages per type match, so that number is right, but totals are different. The AggregateTable calculated item will sum it up. This approach will require you to include a specific category in the calculation like Type in my example, but should be able to get you closer to what you're looking for as long as it includes all of those categories I see in your crosstab.

MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

Hi @HunterT_SAS,

now that I have understood (thanks to your explanation in the other post) that also “the total” is subject to the formula for the aggregated column I think I found a way to get the result desired by @Genesis007. I adjusted the formula again:

Bruehl_0-1666803001700.png

For the IF-clause I choose all values of the “Department” column, so the only line not included is the total line, for which I can choose the aggregation method in the else clause.

Bruehl_1-1666803001718.png

This gives me the desired result:

Bruehl_2-1666803001268.png

Best,

Markus

(Averages for all departments, but the sum, not the average, in the total.)

Genesis007
Obsidian | Level 7

Big thanks to everybody who helped me 😉

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation