PatrickPosthuma
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

Is it possible to dynamically set the date for last month in a slider

Today 09-05-2017

timeslider1.PNG

Tomorow:

timeslider2.PNG

How to set the range dynamically is already described in the post beneath.

However I want to keep the full range and select per default the last month.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics/Time-slider-with-dynamic-range-for-last-2-months...

Best Regards,
Patrick Posthuma
+31 06 53135462
The Netherlands
22 REPLIES 22
bpazzaglini
Fluorite | Level 6

You can use the classification on the slider. You can create a support variable for the month and use that on the classification chosing the first two occurnce.

Paz

PatrickPosthuma
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Paz,

Sorry I did not get you,please explain.
What do you mean with classification?
To be clear the first/default selection must be from 09-04-2017 till 09-05-2017
Tomorow it should be from 10-04-2017 till 10-05-2017
It must be possible to select manually a wider range.

Best Regards,
Patrick Posthuma
+31 06 53135462
The Netherlands
bpazzaglini
Fluorite | Level 6

If you select an object on the report builder on the right side you have a panel in wich you have different section (Role, propertiety, classificatio, filter, ...)

On the classification you can choose for exaple the first ten value on a certain variable.

In your case you can set a filter (not a classification) for example

today() -30 < <your_ data_variable> < today()

You should find the filter thet more suite for you situation

Paz

PatrickPosthuma
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Paz,
For a slider there is no classification tab and a filter works on the range, not on the 'default/initial' selection
Best Regards,
Patrick Posthuma
+31 06 53135462
The Netherlands
bpazzaglini
Fluorite | Level 6

Ranks not classification. I'm used with the italian version, sorry.

I belive the this can help you Check this

I've done a test and it works

Paz

PatrickPosthuma
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Paz,

That is the link I already refer to when I start this post.

This solution changes the range not the actual selection

Best Regards,
Patrick Posthuma
+31 06 53135462
The Netherlands
PatrickPosthuma
Obsidian | Level 7

Anybody a solution for my requirement?

Best Regards,
Patrick Posthuma
+31 06 53135462
The Netherlands
Renato_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @PatrickPosthuma,

This capability has been added to the latest release of VA running on the SAS 9 platform, VA 7.4. There are options now that allow for setting the slider range values to dynamic minimum and dynamic maximum, which would do exactly what you want. I'm not aware of any workarounds for releases prior to 7.4.

Best,

Renato

ilsescheys
SAS Employee

Hello @Renato_sas

I need this also.

Can you give me more details on how I should do this ? I need the last 6 months to be selected. I will set the maximum value dynamic. So that solves the upper limit. But I can't get to set the lower limit correctly.

Thank you in advance.

ilsescheys
SAS Employee
Hello @PatrickPosthuma
How did you solve this ?
Did you use the dynamic minimum/maximum?
Thank you
PatrickPosthuma
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @Renato_sas according to me this is still not possible in version 7.4, please set this topic als not solved yet.

Best Regards,
Patrick Posthuma
+31 06 53135462
The Netherlands
AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi @PatrickPosthuma,

Thanks for the info! We are looking into your problem a bit more closely. In the meantime, I've "unmarked" the response from @Renato_sas as the solution.

Best,

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

PatrickPosthuma
Obsidian | Level 7
according to me this is still not possible in version 7.4 😞
Best Regards,
Patrick Posthuma
+31 06 53135462
The Netherlands
HunterT_SAS
SAS Employee

I think there is some confusion in this thread about what the problem is that I'd like to try and clarify. And of course if I've misunderstood then please correct me.

First, it IS possible in Visual Analytics 7.4 to set a dynamic start and end point for range sliders so that whenever you open the report, the start and end points are the first and last dates in your data, respectively. This is what Renato is referring to.

I don't believe this is what Patrick is getting at though. Rather, it sounds like Patrick wants the range slider to automatically be set so the start and end point is the first and last date of the last month in the date range. So if my full range is January to November, I want the selected range to automatically be November 1st (the first date of the last month) to November 15th (the last date of the last month), while maintaining the earliest possible starting point as January 1st in the slider.

This is currently not possible. 

The closest you could get is to set the end point to be dynamic (not the start point) and then manually adjusting the start point each time the month changes.

Alternatively, you could have a drop down list or something else for Month that filters the range slider, then use the dynamic start/end points in the range slider. So if you pick November in the drop down list, the range slider is automatically filtered for the first and last dates in the November range. I don't know if that makes sense for what you're doing though. And of course it still requires a user to do something to get the date ranges to what you want, as opposed to being purely automatic.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 9 in conversation