BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
myleha
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I'm using VA 8.5. Is there a way to migrate the configuration and the contents of SAS Visual Analytics 8.5 dashboards from one environment to a different environment? 

I have read this method using SAS Environment Manager : https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Promotion-from-SAS-Visual-Analytics-8-x-to-8-... , but it said "You can only export the JSON file for a folder. Exporting individual reports via GUI is not supported" so I'm afraid all of my configuration (i.e. calculation formulas, data views, custom categories, etc.) will also be gone... 

myleha_0-1620727241632.png

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

I asked the dev team about your question and they said:

"The information for a report is all contained within the report file itself, so if a report is migrated, everything that is needed will be included.  I haven’t done much migrating of reports though, so I don’t know what the UX experience is like.  As for data views, those are tied to a given data source, not a report.  So if the user wants to retain their data views, when the data source is migrated, the data views should come along with the data source.  That being said, if a data view was applied to a given report, VA copies the contents from the data view into the report, so VA does not need the data view to exist as there is no tie from the report to the data view."

I asked, "so, if they migrate the report and the data sources for the report everything should work?" and they said yes.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Sam

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

I asked the dev team about your question and they said:

"The information for a report is all contained within the report file itself, so if a report is migrated, everything that is needed will be included.  I haven’t done much migrating of reports though, so I don’t know what the UX experience is like.  As for data views, those are tied to a given data source, not a report.  So if the user wants to retain their data views, when the data source is migrated, the data views should come along with the data source.  That being said, if a data view was applied to a given report, VA copies the contents from the data view into the report, so VA does not need the data view to exist as there is no tie from the report to the data view."

I asked, "so, if they migrate the report and the data sources for the report everything should work?" and they said yes.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Sam

myleha
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Sam! It worked like you said. I just right-clicked and chose "Export" then it generated a JSON file. Then to the Pre-Prod environment, I imported the whole package and everything including the data views were there! Of course, as long as the data source were migrated as well 🙂
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Excellent! Thanks very much for following up with us 🙂

Sam

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation