BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
anna_holland
SAS Employee

, I agree with Jaap Karman! That is an excellent summary of what SAS-VA does.

-Anna-Marie

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Thanks David, This is the best answer on what SAS-VA does and how it works I have ever seen.  The hypothesis I did are also living much more on internet-fora. There is a lot confusion as it also postioned as completely new (sales/marketing) .    

For the security part, very nice you are saying it is a new service in SOA. What remains is the old issue of the security implementation that has always been there. Working with analysts (reporting or advanced) is transferring some repsonsibilties of IT to the users (self-service). At IT organizations this is often not possible not being a part of the architectural frameworks.

No matter what you do technically  (eg the inventory of lockdown) there will be no alignment to a mandatory governance being there.

The SQL-injection was not meant literally I am more thinking about SAS-code injection. As soon as there an option to define/insert code by an user/programmer it can be abused in a similar way. It is the already mentioned trade off by end-user self-service.

SAS VA 6.3 (users guide) is supporting customizing code (chap 17). Chap 18 is about scheduling and mentions DI as possible part of a SAS-VA deployment.  When you would AMO add to SAS_VA, I assume Workspace servers being added, the same way as BI/DI server. Workspace-Servers running by a high priviledged account are possible sensitive to security breaches.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

I understand your concern about access to LASR from AMO, EG and DI Studio and whether those access points are secure.  The LASR server is quite secure-- even a user that has the ability to write any SAS code they want can only access LASR tables if they've been given explicit permission.  There's two security models, but one or the other is always in play and without permission, you can't get in.  There are, of course, best practices that should be followed to ensure that data is secure.  Even a building with the highest quality locks is only secure if the doors are closed and locked.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

David,  That is another good addition.   It is very nice having got these answers from you.    

I am somewhat disappointed  how SAS did the security at the BI/DI server platform. It is missing major guidelines (global = standard of good practice) and missing the impact of imbedding that all well in the OS-security.  A building should also be served for users as the beste security is not having any usage at all.    "A FALSE sense of securityis worse than being unsure."

got it....

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 9 in conversation