BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello Joshsuihn,

You are talking about Section prompt area right..!!!

If yes.....Refer the below link maybe it was useful to you...

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics/How-to-filter-a-filter-in-SAS-VA/m-p/234544#M276...

Let me know.....

Thanks & Regards,

Teja Surapaneni.

SomanDavuluri
Fluorite | Level 6

HI SUnny

I have tried doing what u have shown below but i did not find any results in my data, i think there might be some point missing in the explanation below .

Instead of state and district , i have city and location

where if i select city , location has to be mapped .with the respective city .

if not sunnt anyone can help on creating the dependency of filters both placing on section prompt.

regards

SKG
Obsidian | Level 7 SKG
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Soman,

Sorry for delay

As per above mentioned in my message, i'm going to explain step-by-setp again how to "Dependency between drop down lists in Prompt Section"?

Steps:

1) Create some Parameters whatever you want to dependency between the objects (Drop Down list,...).

For an example

a) "State" and "State" are two data source name -

Right click on data source name "State" and select an option "Create Parameter from Data Item..." and Rename with "State Parameter"  then click on "OK" button.

2) Created parameters are found in the data panel (They are categorized as parameters).

3) Add selection lists into the report Prompt Section area - in this example i'll use 2 diferent categories data objects to simulate a hierarchy. Data objects used are: State, District.

4) Right click on the "State" Drop Down list and select "Add Parameter" and choose "State Parameter".

5) Select Selection list 2(District) and select the Filters tab in the left panel of the report. Click on "Add Filters".

6) Define expression for the filter using the "State Parameter " parameter. I use Missing to avoid warning message when no specific State is selected.

Code:-

( State = State Parameter ) OR State Parameter Missing

OR

If you want to do via dag and drop way then follow this steps

a) Select "OR" operator from the Boolean, drag and down on "VISUAL" Tab condition.

b) At first condition select "X=Y" operator from the Comparsion, drag and drop on Top condition.

c) At second condition select "Missing" operator from the Comparison, drag and drop on Bottom condition.

d) Now value specified:

I'm attaching some snapshots in zip file for your reference. Please download this zip file and follow steps and if you'll have any problem then let me know.

Regards,

Sunny Kumar Gupta

Pradeepspoorthy
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Sunny, it works for me.

habeebullah
Calcite | Level 5
can you please send me the details how to do Re: Dependency between drop down list .last step i didnt understand.i am new to sas
JoshB
Quartz | Level 8

I have found it much easier and straight forward to set up interactions for this type of behavior. In my opinion, aesthetically you need to change the "Layout" of the section you are working on to Precision instead of Tiled. It looks much better when you're all said and done. You can then put the drop down lists at the top of the section (not in the section or report prompt area) and link them through an interaction. Alternatively, you can put them in a horizontal container if you want to stick with the Tiled layout.

I've attached a couple screen shots of a quick and dirty example. In this setup, the first drop down filters the values in the second, which in turn filters the plot object. You can even see that VA derives an interaction between the first drop down and the plot itself.

Interaction.pngOverview.png
muralavenu_gmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi There,

You can't give interactions between TWO Drop Down Lists, if you drop it in (Drop controls here to create a section prompt). That is Global. One Drop Down List or Button Bar will control that Section Charts.You can't see when you try to give interactions in Interaction Tab.

So you need to add\drop the 2 Drop Down lists in center of the section (Drop a report Object here). Now you can see ALL the Controls, Graphs and Tabls, when you try to give interactions in Interaction Tab.  It will work as you mapped.

Thanks & Regards,

Venu Murala  | Sr. SAS Consultant.

Venu Murala
SKG
Obsidian | Level 7 SKG
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Varun,

It's possible to decpendency(or interaction) between two drop down list or more in GLOBAL Prompt. I already mentioned in my last message.

Please let's try once to do it from your end.

Regards,

Sunny Kumar Gupta

muralavenu_gmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi There & Sunny Kumar Gupta,

You can't give (or) see Interactions in Interactions Tab when you try to assign decpendencies (or) interactions between two drop down lists or more in GLOBAL Prompt. If it is local it is possible.

Please watch the short VIDEO for your reference.

Thanks & Regards,
Venu Murala | Sr. SAS Consultant,

Venu Murala
Explore_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

you can definitely filter the dropdowns using the prompts..

SKG
Obsidian | Level 7 SKG
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Venu,

I already did it. Please once follow this instruction properly and then let me know that it's working or not. And please find the attached video file for your reference.

As per above mentioned in my message, i'm going to explain step-by-setp again how to "Dependency between drop down lists in Prompt Section"?

Steps:

1) Create some Parameters whatever you want to dependency between the objects (Drop Down list,...).

For an example

a) "State" and "State" are two data source name -

Right click on data source name "State" and select an option "Create Parameter from Data Item..." and Rename with "State Parameter"  then click on "OK" button.

2) Created parameters are found in the data panel (They are categorized as parameters).

3) Add selection lists into the report Prompt Section area - in this example i'll use 2 diferent categories data objects to simulate a hierarchy. Data objects used are: State, District.

4) Right click on the "State" Drop Down list and select "Add Parameter" and choose "State Parameter".

5) Select Selection list 2(District) and select the Filters tab in the left panel of the report. Click on "Add Filters".

6) Define expression for the filter using the "State Parameter " parameter. I use Missing to avoid warning message when no specific State is selected.

Code:-

OR

If you want to do via dag and drop way then follow this steps

a) Select "OR" operator from the Boolean, drag and down on "VISUAL" Tab condition.

b) At first condition select "X=Y" operator from the Comparsion, drag and drop on Top condition.

c) At second condition select "Missing" operator from the Comparison, drag and drop on Bottom condition.

d) Now value specified:

I'm attaching some snapshots in zip file for your reference. Please download this zip file and follow steps and if you'll have any problem then let me know.

Regards,

Sunny Kumar Gupta

SKG
Obsidian | Level 7 SKG
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Everyone,

Now you can interaction between two or more Drop down lists in Global Prompt Section and random interaction too. I tried to do it and it's working.

Regards,
Sunny Kumar Gupta

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats