BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Giamma14
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear All,

I’m new to SAS VA and I’m trying to understand how better to set up the data for a dashboard.

It seems that the ‘Data preparation’ should be the place where to change your data so that every visualisation using the same source table will automatically have the same operations done.

However I can’t find a way to:

• Create hierarchies: I can create them in the ‘Report designer’, but this means I have to create the same hierarchies for every report using the same data source;

• Make the aggregation work: you can see the example below.

For each ‘Activity’ and ‘Group’ I have a numeric value that represent the budget of the year (‘Forecast’), the current value (‘Actual’) and where we should be (‘Target’). The variable ‘% Actual’ represent how much budget we have already used, and needs to be an aggregated measure because we might want to see the data at the detail level (‘Activity’) or at a higher level (‘Group’)

I’ve tried different type of data aggregations (not only what shown below) but when opening the data in the ‘Report designer’ it never seems to work.

When I create a data aggregation in the ‘Report designer’ everything goes smooth; but again I would like to create the aggregation at the source so it can be used from different reports.

Many thanks for your help,

Gianmario

Example.png
1 REPLY 1
BobbieWagoner
SAS Employee

Hi Gianmario,

You are correct that hierarchies cannot be stored with the LASR table.  I would suggest that you access Designer, create a new report, select your data source, create your hierarchies, and create any aggregations or calculated columns.  Then, without adding any report objects, save the report.  You can then use that report as your starting point for any additional reports that you want to create having the same data, hierarchies, columns, aggregations.  That report will act as your 'template'.   If you still feel that you need to manipulate your data in Data Builder, please describe in a little more detail exactly what 'isn't working' when you open the report, and I may have additional ideas for you.

Best,

Bobbie 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation