BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ksachar
Obsidian | Level 7

I WANT:

I want the report users to have the capability to calculate the Product of obs in Variable VALUE based on the MONTH_END_DATE selection.

I HAVE:

Let's say I have a slider with MONTH_END_DATE value in it which gives a user the flxeiblity to choose a period. Once they have choosen a begining and ending period of their choice, I want to display the product of all observations for variable VALUE. 

For example: User select JAN2015-MAR2015 in the slider, I want to display Product of the 3 obs in that period (0.988*1.035*.995) 

It can be done very easily in Excel, Is there a way to do it in VA. 

<see the attachment>  

Capture1.PNG
11 REPLIES 11
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you want basically want an aggregation type that multiplies the values together in the same way that the SUM aggregation adds the values together.

Is that right?

I don't think there is a way to do this currently. Can you explain the scenario where this type of calculation is needed?

Thanks,

Sam

ksachar
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes. I have monthly return for last 10 years. I have to calculate compunded return for a selected time period in the date slider. 

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Thanks for your reply.

I don't know much about such things, but if I understand correctly this is a banking / finance application?

Thanks,
Sam
ksachar
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes. It is related to finance.

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Ah, thanks.

If you could submit this as an idea here:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/idb-p/sas_ideas/label-name/sas%20visual%20analyt...

It would help our product management evaluate the feature for a future release.

Thanks,
Sam
ksachar
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks @Sam_SAS. I will submit this idea. Is there any way to replicate this in Base SAS. 

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Great! That really helps us. If you could give some more details about your business needs for this feature it helps our team evaluate whether this feature should be prioritized.

About Base SAS, I would expect that it is possible do this in Base SAS but I couldn't say offhand how to do it.
ksachar
Obsidian | Level 7

@Sam_SAS I was able to resolve it using Base SAS. I have updated the idea for future product developements. If you are interetsed I can walk you through my requirement and show you how I resolved it.

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

That is good to hear!

I looked for your idea but I can't seem to find it. Can you post a link?

It would be best for us if you could post your requirements and your workaround there.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Thanks, I can see it now and I am also able to find it when I browse the VA ideas.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation