BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SaiKrishna3
Calcite | Level 5

I need to use aggregated measures in a box plot to make the data sensible - and it seems odd that I can't use that in visualization?

Can anyone explain why it is not possible to generate a box plot using aggregated measures? If no, Is there any alternative way that i can convert aggregated measures to measures so that i can use it in my box plot.

Regards

Sai Krishna

4 REPLIES 4
MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

Hi @SaiKrishna3,

could you please provide an example of what you want to achieve.

(Box plots are a way to show the distribution. After aggregation most of the distribution features are gone.)

Thanks

Markus

Please keep the community friendly.
Like posts you agree with or like. Mark helpful answers as “accepted solutions”. Generally have a look at https://communities.sas.com/t5/Getting-Started/tkb-p/community_articles
SaiKrishna3
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @MarkusWeick ,

Appreciate your quick response.

In my example: I have created a new calculated data item in SAS VA which is assigned as Aggregated Measure.

Capture.PNG

Now, I am unable to add this aggregated measure to a newly created box plot, since there is no such option to create one. There is just "Measures' option.

Capture1.PNG

Is there any way that i can use aggregated measures to a box plot? (or) is there any alternate way to change the aggregated measures to a measure(there is no option to convert agg measure to measure)  to use in a box plot.

Regards

Sai Krishna

MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

Hi @SaiKrishna3,

in my experience the answer to your two questions (Is there any way that i can use aggregated measures to a box plot? (or) is there any alternate way to change the aggregated measures to a measure(there is no option to convert agg measure to measure)  to use in a box plot) is "no". I think you need to do the calculation in the preprocessing of th data before you load it into VA.

(The only "grouping" in a box plot is by the variables of the category. And if you aggregate over this "group" there would be only a single value, for which a box plot wouldn't make sense.)

Sorry for this unsatisfactory answer. But maybe @Madelyn_SAS or @Stu_SAS have a better one.

Best

Markus

Please keep the community friendly.
Like posts you agree with or like. Mark helpful answers as “accepted solutions”. Generally have a look at https://communities.sas.com/t5/Getting-Started/tkb-p/community_articles
Stu_SAS
SAS Employee

Hey @SaiKrishna3! It looks like you're trying to apply an error percentage, but you'd like to do it by group. The best way to do this is to calculate your error percentage as a standard, unaggregated measure:

('Actual'n - 'Predict'n) / 'Actual'n

You can then create a box plot for each by-group with the Category or Lattice data roles. Box plots do not support aggregated measures. Aggregating data and applying it to a box plot will produce a single point, and aggregating a box plot to a specific by-group will create a set of points for each group but they will not necessarily be helpful for interpreting your percent error as a single box plot. In that case, you're better off using a bar chart grouped by a category to get the average error of each group.

If you want to focus only on a specific by-group, it is best to add a filter / control that lets you select the specific group of interest.

My personal recommendation is to use a histogram for interpreting error for normality assumptions and reviewing extremes.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation