BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TDechamp
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I'm trying to find a way to swap the place of the two mean groups, Males and Females, in my data set so that when I run a proc ttest on the data set males are displayed first and then females so then my confidence interval for the difference between two means is (Males - Females) and not (Females - Males).  I've tried sorting by sex and class sex too, but I cannot get the Male group to come first in the output table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Another option if you can't get an ORDER=Data to work is to assign a format that changes the order and use Order=Formatted

proc format;
value $mysex
'Male'=' Male'
'Female'='Female'
;
run;

proc ttest data=sashelp.heart alpha=0.05 order=Formatted;
class sex;
format sex $mysex.;
var weight;
run;

A side effect of most of the ODS output is that the space in front of the M that makes " M" come before "F" alphabetically is that the space is justified out of appearance.

Since T-test class variables should only have two levels it usually isn't that hard to come up with a format quickly.

It may be of interest that you can create the two groups for Ttest from a continuous or multivalued categorical variable by using a format.

proc format;
value tage
low-14='14 and younger'
15-high= 'Over 14';
run;

proc ttest data=sashelp.class alpha=0.05 order=Formatted;
class age;
format age tage.;
var weight;
run;

This can be very useful if you need a "this value" compared to "all the other values" of a category and pretty easy to code

proc format;
value oage
14='14'
other= 'Not 14';
run;

class age;
format age oage.;
var weight;
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TDechamp
Calcite | Level 5

The current code I've been trying is:

Data Example.heart; set sashelp.heart;

proc ttest data=example.heart alpha=0.05 order=data;
class sex;
var weight;
run;

ballardw
Super User

Another option if you can't get an ORDER=Data to work is to assign a format that changes the order and use Order=Formatted

proc format;
value $mysex
'Male'=' Male'
'Female'='Female'
;
run;

proc ttest data=sashelp.heart alpha=0.05 order=Formatted;
class sex;
format sex $mysex.;
var weight;
run;

A side effect of most of the ODS output is that the space in front of the M that makes " M" come before "F" alphabetically is that the space is justified out of appearance.

Since T-test class variables should only have two levels it usually isn't that hard to come up with a format quickly.

It may be of interest that you can create the two groups for Ttest from a continuous or multivalued categorical variable by using a format.

proc format;
value tage
low-14='14 and younger'
15-high= 'Over 14';
run;

class age;
format age tage.;
var weight;
run;

This can be very useful if you need a "this value" compared to "all the other values" of a category and pretty easy to code

proc format;
value oage
14='14'
other= 'Not 14';
run;

class age;
format age oage.;
var weight;
run;

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @TDechamp and welcome to the SAS Support Communities!

Use the ORDER= option of the PROC TTEST statement.

Example:

proc ttest data=sashelp.class order=data;
class sex;
var height;
run;

The output displays males first because the first non-missing value of variable SEX in the dataset is 'M'. If that weren't the case, a PROC SORT step as shown below could create a suitably sorted input dataset for PROC TTEST:

proc sort data=sashelp.class out=want;
by descending sex;
run;

Note that in other datasets (perhaps in yours) variable SEX might be numeric with an associated format, e.g., 1=male, 2=female. In this case order=internal could be used without sorting.

Edit: In SASHELP.HEART, as shown in your second post, SEX is a character variable and 'Female' happens to occur first. So, use PROC SORT as above to get 'Male' values to the top in EXAMPLE.HEART.