BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I would like a simple way to achieve the following boxplot chart with SAS:

graphwanted.png

I would like the mean, median, and max shown on the boxplot near the point on the graph. Please let me know if this is possible in a simple way.

Thanks in advance,

J Fuchsia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User
data have;
 set sashelp.heart(obs=1000);
run;

/***********箱型图***************/
%macro box_plot(dsn=,x=,y=,title=);
ods select none;
ods output sgplot=sgplot1;
proc sgplot data=&dsn.  ;
vbox &y./category=&x. ;
run;
ods select all;

%let dsid=%sysfunc(open(sgplot1));
%let first=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,1))));
%let second=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,2))));
%let third=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,3))));
%let dsid=%sysfunc(close(&dsid));

data temp(rename=(&third.=&x. &first.=_y &second.=_stat));
 set sgplot1;
 _value=round(&first.,0.01);
 if not missing(&second.) and &second. in ('MIN' 'MAX' 'MEDIAN' 'MEAN' 'Q1' 'Q3');
 keep _value &first. &second. &third.;
run;
data want;
 set &dsn. temp;
 if _stat  in ( 'MEDIAN') then _value1=_value;
 if _stat  in ( 'MIN' 'MAX') then _value2=_value;
 if _stat  in ( 'MEAN' ) then _value3=_value;
run;
title  c=black  "&title.";  
proc sgplot data=want noautolegend ;
vbox &y./category=&x. nomean boxwidth=0.1 ;
scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15  markerchar=_value1 labelstrip  markercharattrs=(size=8) ;
scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15  markerchar=_value2 labelstrip  markercharattrs=(size=8) ;
scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15  markerchar=_value3 labelstrip  markercharattrs=(size=8)  ;

scatter x=&x. y=_value3 /markerattrs=(color=darkred symbol=circlefilled) name='mean' legendlabel='Mean';
scatter x=&x. y=_value1 /markerattrs=(color=navy symbol=diamondfilled) name='median' legendlabel='Median';

yaxis integer;
keylegend 'mean' 'median'/AUTOITEMSIZE;
run;
title;
%mend;

%box_plot(dsn=have,x=bp_status,y=weight, title=VCSS-Socre)

Ksharp_1-1711419447921.png

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Simple? I would say the answer is NO.

If you want to do some rather detailed programming ... but that's not simple, so I'll stop there.

--
Paige Miller
JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your reply! Just wondering. I am up to the task. What do I need to do?

ballardw
Super User

First you should start with which procedure you intend to use. There are at least 4 different procedures that will draw boxplots excluding some of the analysis procedures.

You also want to clarify which "MAX" you might mean. One of the options for some of the BOXPLOT syntax MAX is for the largest value below the box upper fence.

You may want to consider starting with something like this:

proc sgplot data=sashelp.class;
   vbox height /  category=sex displaystats=(mean median datamax )
   ;
run;

The values of the largest value, mean and median appear below the box with a marker for the Mean in the box and bar across the box for the location of the Median.  The order of the DISPLAYSTATS will be in order in the option with the first appearing closest to the Xaxis and the others above.

JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

The "displaystats" procedure does not give me the same chart. I need the values to be right at the point on the boxplot not along the x axis. I am ready for a more detailed example if needed. Also, I definitely need MAX ("the largest value below the box upper fence")  as defined below. 

I  am using a grouping variable (see below) so "displaystats " will not work, also I am willing to use whichever boxplot procedure is simpler to code. I have several plots to make and will want to reiterate the code.

proc sgplot data=sashelp.cars;
vbox MPG_City / category=type group=origin displaystats=(mean median max )
;
run;

Thank you so much!

Ksharp
Super User
data have;
run;

/***********箱型图***************/
%macro box_plot(dsn=,x=,y=,title=);
ods select none;
ods output sgplot=sgplot1;
proc sgplot data=&dsn.  ;
vbox &y./category=&x. ;
run;
ods select all;

%let dsid=%sysfunc(open(sgplot1));
%let first=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,1))));
%let second=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,2))));
%let third=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,3))));
%let dsid=%sysfunc(close(&dsid));

data temp(rename=(&third.=&x. &first.=_y &second.=_stat));
 set sgplot1;
 _value=round(&first.,0.01);
 if not missing(&second.) and &second. in ('MIN' 'MAX' 'MEDIAN' 'MEAN' 'Q1' 'Q3');
 keep _value &first. &second. &third.;
run;
data want;
 set &dsn. temp;
 if _stat  in ( 'MEDIAN') then _value1=_value;
 if _stat  in ( 'MIN' 'MAX') then _value2=_value;
 if _stat  in ( 'MEAN' ) then _value3=_value;
run;
title  c=black  "&title.";  
proc sgplot data=want noautolegend ;
vbox &y./category=&x. nomean boxwidth=0.1 ;
scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15  markerchar=_value1 labelstrip  markercharattrs=(size=8) ;
scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15  markerchar=_value2 labelstrip  markercharattrs=(size=8) ;
scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15  markerchar=_value3 labelstrip  markercharattrs=(size=8)  ;

scatter x=&x. y=_value3 /markerattrs=(color=darkred symbol=circlefilled) name='mean' legendlabel='Mean';
scatter x=&x. y=_value1 /markerattrs=(color=navy symbol=diamondfilled) name='median' legendlabel='Median';

yaxis integer;
keylegend 'mean' 'median'/AUTOITEMSIZE;
run;
title;
%mend;

%box_plot(dsn=have,x=bp_status,y=weight, title=VCSS-Socre)

Ksharp_1-1711419447921.png

JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

This is just what I need. But how do I make it work for data that is grouped (by year)?

Thanks!

JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

Also, I would like to account for scale in my data.

Something like,  "where 0 <= &y. <=500;" is not working correctly.

Thank you!!!

ballardw
Super User

@JFuchsia wrote:

Also, I would like to account for scale in my data.

Something like,  "where 0 <= &y. <=500;" is not working correctly.

Thank you!!!

"Not working correctly" is awful vague.

Are there errors in the log?: Post the code and log in a code box opened with the "<>" to maintain formatting of error messages.

No output? Post any log in a code box.

Unexpected output? Provide input data in the form of data step code pasted into a code box, the actual results and the expected results. Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the "</>" icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

When I try to use the   "Where 0 <= &y. <=500;" with the anywhere in the SGPLOT procedure statement then all of my annotation disappears on the subsequent plot.

When I try to use the grouping variable (year, in my case) I get the plot but without annotation, and the following statement in the log:

WARNING: Y=_Y is invalid. The option expects that the column not contain all missing values.
WARNING: Y=_Y is invalid. The option expects that the column not contain all missing values.
WARNING: Y=_VALUE3 is invalid. The option expects that the column not contain all missing values.
WARNING: Y=_VALUE1 is invalid. The option expects that the column not contain all missing values
JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

I tweaked the  previous scale statement in the current code to this :

yaxis integer values=(0 to 500 by 10);

and the scale is much better and I don't lose my plot labels (for mean, min, etc.)

however, how can I group the data by each year?

Thank you!!

Quentin
Super User

Did you try adapting @Ksharp 's macro to supper grouped data?

I would think you would add the group to the initial SGPLOT which calculates the statistics.  Not sure how the output from that step would change, but the general approach of use SGPLOT to calculate statistics, then combine the calculated statistics with your main data, then you SGPLOT again to generate the box plot and display the calculates statistics via SCATTER should work.

If you're doing this for the first time, you might want to do it in 'open code', i.e. outside of a macro definition.  That should make it easier to develop and test.  Then once the non-macro version is working, if you would benefit from having a general macro, you can write the macro as step 2. 

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

I did adapt the Macro, the only issue now is that the scatter plot portions are off since the data is now grouped as well as categorized. 

The scatter plot of the stats data is all along one axis, it's correct  but I need it to group along the bar that it belongs to within the group. A snapshot is coming.

JFuchsia
Obsidian | Level 7

So,

when I add group= sex, I get the following code:

data have;
run;
%macro box_plot(dsn=,x=,y=,title=); ods select none; ods output sgplot=sgplot1; proc sgplot data=&dsn. ; vbox &y./group=sex category=&x. ; run; ods select all; %let dsid=%sysfunc(open(sgplot1)); %let first=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,1)))); %let second=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,2)))); %let third=%sysfunc(nliteral(%sysfunc(varname(&dsid,3)))); %let dsid=%sysfunc(close(&dsid)); data temp(rename=(&third.=&x. &first.=_y &second.=_stat)); set sgplot1; _value=round(&first.,0.01); if not missing(&second.) and &second. in ('MIN' 'MAX' 'MEDIAN' 'MEAN' 'Q1' 'Q3'); keep _value &first. &second. &third.; run; data want; set &dsn. temp; if _stat in ( 'MEDIAN') then _value1=_value; if _stat in ( 'MIN' 'MAX') then _value2=_value; if _stat in ( 'MEAN' ) then _value3=_value; run; title c=black "&title."; proc sgplot data=want noautolegend ; vbox &y./group=sex category=&x. nomean boxwidth=0.1 ; scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15 markerchar=_value1 labelstrip markercharattrs=(size=8) ; scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15 markerchar=_value2 labelstrip markercharattrs=(size=8) ; scatter x=&x. y=_y /discreteoffset=0.15 markerchar=_value3 labelstrip markercharattrs=(size=8) ; scatter x=&x. y=_value3 /markerattrs=(color=darkred symbol=circlefilled) name='mean' legendlabel='Mean'; scatter x=&x. y=_value1 /markerattrs=(color=navy symbol=diamondfilled) name='median' legendlabel='Median'; yaxis integer; keylegend 'mean' 'median'/AUTOITEMSIZE; run; title; %mend; %box_plot(dsn=have,x=bp_status,y=weight, title=VCSS-Socre)

The following plot results: 

messyplot.png

HOW can I fix the plot so that the numbers align appropriately. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!!! 🙂 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation