BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cassifields
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to do a linear regression to computer whether body weight can predict blood pressure after controlling for age, healthstatus, and physical activity. Here, my DV (blood pressure) is continuous and my IV(body weight)  is continuous. Also, I have several covariate IVs; age is continous, healthstatus is categorical (dummy coded 1-5), and physical activity is continous (# hours doing physical activity). To do this, should I use proc glm or proc reg?

5 REPLIES 5
gergely_batho
SAS Employee

I recommend proc glm. There you can use the class statement to dummy code the categorical variables.

You can use also proc reg, but then first you need to pre-process your data (creating dummy variables "manually").

cassifields
Calcite | Level 5

Can you check multicollinearity using proc glm?

Ksharp
Super User

You can use STEPWISE BACKWISW ... option of MODEL to get rid of multicollinearity and get the best model .

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

"Best models" with categorical variables are messy, and those methods in PROC REG really won't help.  The categorical dummy variables are by definition collinear.

I would approach this with PROC GLM or MIXED, and look at the chapter on Analysis of Covariance in SAS for Mixed Models, 2nd ed.

Steve Denham

Ksharp
Super User

Doc Steve,

Sorry to make you confused . My statistical background was not as good as you were .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation