BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TBarker
Quartz | Level 8

One of our IT application administrators will be joining me at SASGF19 this year, as he has been assigned as the primary IT system admin for our upgraded enterprise SAS environment. I've taught him everything I know as far as administering SAS via Management Console, but his world of system administration is much broader than my world of user and library administration. I would like to put him in touch with as many in-person resources at SASGF19 as he has room for in his schedule, in hopes he'll meet a few admins who have similar environments to ours. Will there be a SUGA meetup this year? If so, is there a primary contact with whom I can connect my app admin? Are there other recommendations for conference resources for new system admins?

~Tamara
10 REPLIES 10
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @TBarker,

I’m on the SUGA (SAS User Group for Adminisrators) committee and there will be a Sunday afternoon networking session dedicated for SAS administrators. I understand an emailwill be sent and post this week. In the meantime here are the details so your SASadmin can organise travel to get in earlier.

• Sunday, April 28, 2019
  • Time: 3:30PM – 5:00PM  
  • Place: Room D171 on Level 1 of the Convention Center

It’s a networking/mingle session to meet other admins, exchange agendas, tips and also meet SAS staff that will be there. Keep an eye out on posts in the SAS admin group https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/bd-p/sas_admin

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
TBarker
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you, Michelle! This is very helpful.
~Tamara
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

My pleasure @TBarker @and sorry @ShelleySessoms for jumping in early... too keen to help. 

@TBarker, in case your admin doesn’t already know about the SAS admin checklist, you might want to pass this on https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Checklist-of-SAS-Platform-Administration-Task...

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

No worries, @MichelleHomes. I appreciate the help any time I can get it! 🙂 

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
TBarker
Quartz | Level 8
Wow! Thank you! This admin list, while for an older version of SAS (9.4M2), is very helpful! I wish I'd known about it the past several years as the de facto system admin. I'll definitely pass this along. I did invite him to the community and shared the link to this thread specifically for him to check out, so hopefully he'll be stopping by to say hello soon. We're still finishing up our system upgrade to 9.4M5 and under a tight deadline, so he's super busy right now.
~Tamara
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Glad to know it is helpful @TBarker and while the SAS 9.4 checklist isn't written for the latest maintenance release it is still highly relevant when managing a SAS 9.4 environment. There is a link in the article for a SAS Viya checklist and I encourage SAS admins to look at this for your SAS Viya platform.

FYI, I saw @DavidStern the author of the paper on Tuesday last week when he presented some of the SAS Viya checklist tasks at SAS Forum Copenhagen. I know he would like to get your feedback on the lists too.

Cheers,

Michelle

ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

Hi @TBarker,

@MichelleHomes beat me to it! Yes, there is the networking meeting that Michelle references. That is a great opportunity to meet other admins and ask questions of SAS experts.

You can have your admin send me a PM and I would be happy to connect him/her to the onsite contact who could answer additional questions and help guide their conference experience.

Best,

Shelley

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
TBarker
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you, Shelley. I'll pass this along.
~Tamara
dgritt
Obsidian | Level 7

I'd be happy to talk with your sys admin. We don't use MC for much and manage most of our access with traditional sys admin utilities and home-grown Oracle and web-based tools.

TBarker
Quartz | Level 8
I'll pass this along. Mgmt Console is fairly new to him and it's important that he understand it well, along with Environment Mgr which is new to my entire organization. However, as he is admin for numerous other systems, I'm sure he would appreciate any non-SAS-based admin tool tips as well. Thanks!
~Tamara

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 14 likes
  • 4 in conversation