BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Frank2808
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I didn't see a forum for SAS Olap Cube Studio. I created a cube and processed it successfully. I'm able to open the cube in Enterprise Guide but the default view when opening is set to the last dimension I added.. which is quite large! The result is that the cube takes a long time to load when opened. How do I change the default view for the cube when it's opened by the user??

7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I was just looking for an answer to this myself - and I haven't seen anything that suggests that this is possible. A typical SASWare ballot item?

My work-around is to us a WRS report, where a default layout is defined.

I have a NUNIQUE measure based on a customer dimension, which itself shouldn't be visible for the user - this is also handles by the WRS. But if your users need to access the cube from EG, I guess this will not work for you...

/Linus

Data never sleeps
FrankE
Fluorite | Level 6

I opened a ticket with SAS support and this info may be useful.. although not really a solution:

The SAS Enterprise Guide OLAP Analyzer uses the followinglogic to determine which dimensions will be placed on rows or columns:

Do until a dimension is placed on Columns

If a TYPE = TIMEdimension exists, place it on columns

Else if adimension with the name "customer", "geog","account", "product", "market","employee" or "store" exists, place it on columns

Else select thefirst dimension defined to metadata that does not have TYPE = GEO.

Do until a dimension is placed on Rows

If a TYPE = GEOdimension exists, place it on columns

Else if adimension with the name "customer", "geog","account", "product", "market","employee" or "store" exists and is not already used incolumns, place it on rows

Else select thefirst dimension defined to metadata that does not have TYPE = TIME and is notalready used on columns.

Calculated members will not be selected by default forthe display in any client. The default measure will always be selected based onthe DEFAULT option in your MEASURE statements.

Another option available - you can create a view and savethat view within the SAS Enterprise Guide OLAP Analyzer or as a spreadsheet inMicrosoft Excel. If that project/workbook is opened again, that view will bepreserved.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Wow, amazing... Real hard-coded logic, right? And what about NLS support... Smiley Wink

Data never sleeps
AndiChrist
Calcite | Level 5

I'm using PROC OLAP in EG 5.1.

SAS uses the first dimension in alpha order rather than defined order to add to rows. Might be different in differing environments however this is what I have observed.

Andy

Matthijs
Obsidian | Level 7

There is an option in Enterprise Guide: Tools --> Options go to OLAP Data.

Here you can set de 'Default Actions for Opening OLAP Cubes'

If you choose 'Always open with options' then the cube doesn't automaticly create a view when opening, but askes you wich dimensions and measures you want to use.

AndiChrist
Calcite | Level 5

Won't work for me, as my cubes are accessed through a web portal 🙂

Matthijs
Obsidian | Level 7

🙂

Our users do not directly acces the cube via the portal. We place an information map between the portal and cube. In the information map you can set a 'default query'.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation