BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Munivan
Calcite | Level 5

I hope you're doing well. I wanted to reach out and let you know that I recently completed a SAS EG querying and reporting course, and I'm eager to gain more practical experience in SAS. I have SAS EG installed on my work laptop, as well as access to two servers: SASAppOA and SASAppVA.

I understand that SASAppVA is designated for production use, but I was wondering if I could utilize one of the servers for practice purposes. I want to ensure that I don't accidentally interfere with any ongoing projects in the folders. Could you please advise me on the appropriate server to use for practice, as well as where I should save my output?

Thank you for your assistance.

10 REPLIES 10
Quentin
Super User

This is probably a better question for colleagues in your your business who use the servers.  Perhaps ask the administrator who helped set up your account on those servers for guidance.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Munivan
Calcite | Level 5

I am the SAS Admin and I am new to SAS. I am still learning. Everything is new for me. I found in SAS EG a Library named WORK. Can I use it to save my practice outputs or it is better to create a new library and save them there?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So the people who installed your SAS server(s) are no longer in your company? What about those using the servers beside you?

WORK is a temporary library which is physically created when a SAS session starts, and deleted when the session ends, so it is not a suitable place to "save" anything.

Munivan
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, the people who installed your SAS server(s) are no longer in my company. 

Right, I read about WORK library after I posted the question. 

Quentin
Super User

Do you have SAS programmers / SAS developers still?  That is, other people who are connecting to the servers and writing code (either for ad-hoc analysis or for developing tools?).  

Sounds like there jobs/projects on the servers.  Would probably be helpful to talk to the people who work on those jobs/projects.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Munivan
Calcite | Level 5

Our company have only one data analyst. She left the company and they hired me. I used to work with Power BI. Now I am learning SAS EG reporting. I think I can create a new folder to save my practice work. I hope I'm thinking right.

Reeza
Super User
EG is not the replacement for PowerBI, that would be SAS Visual Analytics.
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Keep in mind you can use PowerBI using the SAS datasets as ODBC sources. 

https://github.com/savian-net
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Just assign a library. 

Example:

libname test '\\NASLOCATION\MyStuff';

data test.ShoeCopy;

set sashelp.shoes;

run;

* Test is now a physical library that is saved ;

You can also just run the libname statement standalone and it will allocate a library for you. You need 2 level library statments, otherwise it is a assumed to be work. These are equivalent:

data work.shoes;

---

data shoes;

https://github.com/savian-net

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation