BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is locked. We are no longer accepting replies to this topic. Need further help? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AmyP_sas
SAS Employee

It's here!  Announcing the release of SAS Enterprise Guide 8.1 (available beginning 18JUN2019).  The redefined EG 8.1 sports:

• A modern interface
  • Tab-based organization of content
  • Flexible window management, such as floating, docking, and leveraging multiple monitors

Want to view your code, log, and results at the same time? EG 8.1 has you covered. Want to view four data sets at the same time? Sure, no problem. Want to just code, without a project? You got it.

The video below hits a few of the highlights and you can see a full list of new features in this what's-new summary.

Editor's Note: This SAS Global Forum paper by @DavidBailey@samdupont and @CaseySmith, Celebrity Makeover: A Fresh and Modern Look for SAS Enterprise Guide, covers some of the same territory in words and screenshots.

Read Now

To help you roll EG 8.1 out at your own organization, feel free to use the attached presentation and summary. We'll be adding more videos & other assets, so please tell us what you need.  And, as always, we'd love to hear your feedback!

57 REPLIES 57
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Want to view your code, log, and results at the same time? EG 8.1 has you covered. Want to view four data sets at the same time? Sure, no problem. Want to just code, without a project? You got it.

This seems to eliminate my biggest reason for not using EG. I would love to try it, as soon as my organization upgrades to 8.1 (which might not be for a few months/years/decades, you never know).

--
Paige Miller
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

PLEASE MAKE THE STANDALONE INSTALLER AVAILABLE FOR INDIVIDUAL DOWNLOAD! (not part of full-blown SAS depots only)

I'm begging on my knees here (picture available if needed for documentation).

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Kurt_Bremser - I vote to see the picture! And having endured an over 10 hour full SAS depot download to get EG 8.1 I second that.

blueboy714
Calcite | Level 5

Good god - SAS version 8.1 totally sucks.  It's taking me days to try to understand what the heck was changed and how to undo it.  Black eye for SAS.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@blueboy714 Sorry to hear you're finding it confusing.  This tutorial might help you or others as you get oriented to the changed interface.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Can the font size be changed and made smaller? In my Base SAS 9.4, if I open SASHELP.CLASS via viewtable, I see the 19 observations take up less than 1/2 of my screen vertically; but in the video showing EG 8.1, the 19 observations take up about 3/4 of the screen.

--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@PaigeMiller - since EG 7.12, you've been able to zoom your view (larger and smaller) by using the standard Ctrl+/C..., or set a specific percentage for the scale.  So...you can easily fit more data in less space.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Nice! Up until a few days ago, we were using EG 7.1, now we're up to 7.15, which should have this font size capability, I will give it a try.

--
Paige Miller
Grinvydas
Fluorite | Level 6

Is it somewhere available as a standalone install, like EG 7.15 ?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

There is a standalone installer, but it is buried in a SAS Software Depot. There is no alternative to requesting an updated SAS Software Depot for your site. The auto update feature in EG will work for future updates beyond 8.1.

Grinvydas
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you SAS for doing it more complicated for the end users. If it's buried in SAS Software Depot, then it's not a standalone installer. It's a bit of a disappointment.

Can someone "dig it out" of the SAS Software Depot? 🙂

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Grinvydas wrote:

Thank you SAS for doing it more complicated for the end users. If it's buried in SAS Software Depot, then it's not a standalone installer. It's a bit of a disappointment.

Can someone "dig it out" of the SAS Software Depot? 🙂

I am completely with you. I am VERY disappointed by the "politics" with regards to the availability of the Enterprise Guide standalone installer.

Personally, as a customer (and "valued" member here) I feel ****** ** *** ***.

eSAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I'm new here, but doesn't SAS EG 8.1 have new features that require an upgraded version of the back-end for them to work?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@eSAS  - EG 8.1 will work with all reasonably recent versions of SAS. For example we are using it with SAS 9.4M2.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats