BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is locked. We are no longer accepting replies to this topic. Need further help? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pchegoor
Pyrite | Level 9

I  yesterday installed  SAS EG 8.1 (64 bit)  from a  SAS EG  Independent Installer  exe  file on Windows 10 (64 bit) .  After installation  when I clicked on  Check  for Updates under HELP menu  I saw  update for  8.1 (update 2)  and installed that too  successfully.  But  then when I try  again to check for updates I get a pop up message  saying   Your Software was is up to date . So how I upgrade to  SAS EG 8.2?   The current version of SAS EG 8.1  on my machine  is  8.1 Update 2 (8.1.2.4594) (64-bit)  .

Does anyone have any thoughts on  why the Upgrade to EG  8.2 does not show  up when clicking on "Check for Updates"  under HELP Menu?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@pchegoor - Interesting question. This is the latest version as far as I'm aware and the one I'm using. Maybe try installing on another PC and see if you have the same problem. What release of Windows 10 are you on? Mine is 1809. Could it be that 8.2 doesn't support early Windows versions?

screenshot28.JPG

pchegoor
Pyrite | Level 9

@SASKiwi   

Unfortunately my company allows me to install only  on One machine  and also I had to request admin rights to do so .

BTW  how did you install your SAS EG  8.2?  Was it an upgrade  from EG 8.1  to 8.2  via  "Check for Updates"  option?

My Windows 10 version too is 1809.

I  have logged in a SAS Tech  Support  Incident for this  Issue to see if they can help.  Just wanted to know what others                           think  who  might be in the same situation. The SAS  EG Independent Installer came from a SAS Depot which was obtained  in   July 2019  , before  SAS EG 8.2 was  introduced.  Not sure if this is reason for why I am unable to upgrade to 8.2 .But again this  does not make sense since upgrade to 8.2 from 8.1 is an over the air update  as others have mentioned in this forum.  So  i am a bit puzzled.  Will  see what the SAS Tech support says about this situation.   BTW  8.1 Update 2  is an hotfix  update to 8.1 as you may have already guessed.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@pchegoor - My upgrade path was similar. A SAS depot from about the same time as you starting at 8.1, then automatic updates via the EG menu from then. 8.2 arrived late last year, around Nov. I do remember going through that 8.1 Update 2 as well.

pchegoor
Pyrite | Level 9

@SASKiwi    Thanks for the Info.   My guess is that what you may have seen sometime after July 2019  was probably 8.1 Update 1  and then probably you  got an update to 8.2  ( sometime in Nov 2019)  as well .  The  8.1  update 2  I am talking  about was just released last month :  Jan 20th,2020 according to  this link : https://tshf.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/HF2/F6J.html .  And since I installed EG 8.1 just yesterday for the very first time, I got the Update 2  as the first update to my 8.1 version . Infact I would have expected it to show me directly the 8.2 update skipping the 8.1 Update 2  but  I guess it somehow thinks that 8.1 Update 2 is the latest one going by when the update was released. This may be a bug .

Need to wait and see what SAS Tech Support says.

Quentin
Super User

@pchegoor were you able to get this resolved?  I was just about to ask our IT folks for EG 8.  Not sure if they'll give me 8.1 or 8.2.  If it's hard to update from 8.1 to 8.2, I guess I should push for 8.2.

Hopefully @CaseySmith  will weigh in.  From that other thread ( https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/SAS-EG-8-1-how-to-obtain/td-p/567446 ), looked like they expected users to be able to easily update from 8.1 to 8.2.  

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
pchegoor
Pyrite | Level 9

@Quentin    Yes after my ticket to  SAS Support on this I was able to upgrade from   EG  8.1   to 8.2  using just the  Check for Updates option under the  Help  Menu.

The current version of SAS  EG  is   8.2  Update 1 (8.2.1.1223)    for  32bit  or 64 bit

Quentin
Super User

Thanks, glad to hear it, @pchegoor .  I've heard some great things about EG 8.2.  Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
chetan3125
Obsidian | Level 7

I am a long time SAS programmer with experience in PC/Linux SAS and switched to EG 7.1 due to job change. 

I hate EG 7.1 which has extremely limited my productivity by restricting keybindings, layout and many more things. 

I thought that I am seriously going to have a carpal tunnel syndrome due to excessive mouse use. 

I hope 8.1 is better and my company switches to it (fingers crossed ) .

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

@chetan3125 I hear you. Haven't tried EG 8 yet, but I avoid any hope to avoid any disappointment. EG was not created for programmers, and it shows. Despite some small improvements here and there along the years, it still lacks a bucket-load of basic features. Some programmers like it though. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@chetan3125  - EG 8.2 is the latest release and I think you will find it better than EG 7. If you want to know more then watch the videos and documentation links earlier in this post. Also see my response to your other post.

ccaero
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

i'm sas administrator & developer at an big company where we using the EPG 7.15 in production. At the moment I'm trying out the new EPG 8.2 (with lastest hotfix).

I have noticed, that opening sas-tables (via server explorer) at an workspace-server in EPG 8.2 is much more slowly than in EPG 7.15 - of course depending on the network latency.

For example: opening the example-table "SASHELP.CARS" takes about 5 seconds in EPG 7.15, EPG 8.2 takes about 20 seconds for the same table. -> Both where measured at home-office over VPN with 40ms network-latency to the workspace-server but of course from/to the same machines. That is 4 time slower! 😮I tested it also at our headquarter, where we have about 10ms network-latency from workstations to the datacenter -> little bit better, but EPG 8.2 tooks two times longer again.

Because i was interested, what is going on behind the scenes, i have captured the network-packets using wireshark which where transferd between client/server while opening an sas-table vor viewing. EPG 8.2 had transfered ~3700 packets until the table-view appears, EPG 7.15 needed only ~1200 packets to make the table appears.

So EPG 8.2 is much more inefficient than the older 7.15 on the network side.

Bug or feature? - Is this something which we should report to the sas-support?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Quick note: we've "frozen" this topic for new comments. If you have questions/feedback about SAS Enterprise Guide 8.1 or 8.2, we encourage you to start a new topic.
Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats