BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is locked. We are no longer accepting replies to this topic. Need further help? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gracez
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I'd love to use SAS enterprise Guide. I mean tasks and querying in EG. I have to say it 's a combination of proc sql and some wonderful base SAS. But If there is a way that we can modify SAS codes in the tasks during creating process flow, that would be the best. Or put options in the tasks (generalized linear models, List Report Wizard, summary tables and so on) based on Base SAS.  For example, can you put 'keep only the last record by each 'sort by' group' in the task 'sort data under Data tab'. Thank you! 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Welcome to the SAS community Grace!

This suggestion should probably be made in the SASWare Ballot Ideas forum.

nzdude
Calcite | Level 5

We agree and hope to make it easier to get EG in the future

Do you have a date for us? 

We've downloaded our depot at least three times and still haven't gotten a standalone installer folder.  It should not be this hard and we shouldn't need to contact support to get this done (Track 7612943006).  It's not like you can use EG or the Office Add-In without a valid support contact, can you?

SAS could choose to just upload the files and make it easier for customers, but this hasn't happened yet.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@nzdude  - Once you have EG 8 installed, future upgrades can be done within EG but you are right that having to get a complete SAS depot to start with is a total pain!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@SASKiwi wrote:

@nzdude  - Once you have EG 8 installed, future upgrades can be done within EG but you are right that having to get a complete SAS depot to start with is a total pain!

But this (update) only works when the computer running EG has direct access to the internet. If the internet connection goes through a proxy, you're hosed.

I started an idea: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/Add-Proxy-Configuration-to-Enterprise-Guide/idi-... 

Of course, this would all be moot if the standalone installer was available as separate download.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Most importantly: Does it crash less often?

If these five issues have been fixed:

1. "Access to the path is denied"

Capture .PNG

2. Error raised by libgit2

Capture .PNG

3. "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"  (very common on large proc compare runs)

Capture.PNG  

4. Could not find project.rcv

Capture.PNG

5. "Access to the path 'project.rcv' is denied"

Capture.PNG

That should get rid of most crashes.

Have they been fixed?

PS

If you want to keep your EG session alive, also note the new option (in 9.4M5) IOMLOGAUTOFLUSH that avoids server disconnections due to large logs.

SAS has been playing around with the SAS and EG logs for a long time.

In V6 we had command line option -$logflush, replaced with program option UNBUFLOG in V7, then replaced again with an invocation option in V9 with option LOGPARM. And finally now option IOMLOGAUTOFLUSH, just for EG.

Not too sure why the very useful UNBUFLOG was ever removed, but at least IOMLOGAUTOFLUSH seems to (hopefully) partially replace it.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Also, are the  .egp  files the same or has the format changed?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

@Kurt_Bremser 

> At least EG 7 does not want them.

At least one reply. Thanks Kurt. 🙂

And no option for EG8 to save in an earlier EG format?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Correct @Kurt_Bremser and @ChrisNZ  - EGP files cannot be backported to an earlier release of EG. The dev team keeps the EGP file format compatible within a major release (like, all EG v7-era files), but breaking changes are introduced at the major release boundaries.  EGP files are forward compatible, not backward.  

The EG app displays warnings when you open a backlevel EGP file in a later version of the app.  You're notified that saving the file will make it incompatible with earlier releases.  Best advice is to save a copy if you need to work with multiple versions.

The Migration Wizard tool that ships with EG will move your files forward and create a backup of all of the files it touches.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Thanks @ChrisHemedinger .

EG 7.1 cannot open files created with version 7.15.

This restriction on file formats makes migration a lot more painful as it cannot be gradual. All users have a migrate in one go.

This pain could easily be avoided if the ability to save using earlier formats existed.

PEGE
Calcite | Level 5

In previous versions i could make the canvas Stacked and then the "Process Flow" stayed on top.

in 8.1 i cant get the process flow to stay in the top stacked and the  data/Program/etc open in the lower half of the screen.

New data and Querry results will open in the topp tab group, where I want my process flow to stay always vissible.

I want the Querry results and new data to open in the lower Tab Group.

Isnt this possible in 8.1

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

EG 8.1 opens new tabs in the top-left most tab group.  So, if you want to keep the process flow visible while you open other items, either right-click your Process Flow tab and select New horizontal tab group to put the flow in the bottom pane, or you can Float the process flow tab in its own window.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

DanielKaiser
Pyrite | Level 9

In EG8.2 you can no longer open your last used files at the Landingpage by left click. You now have to do a rightclick and select open. Is this expected? Doesn't feel Right.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats