BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CColey
Calcite | Level 5

I have a  Process flow that works absolutely fine if i run it from a starting Task node.

Im trying to convert this process flow into a Stored procedure(SP) for scheduling purposes.

The process flow basically reads a flat file (on z/os) and splits that file in to 7 SAS datasets on mainframe. The process flow allocates the mainframe sas datasets and then creatses the SAS dataset.  When I go through the wizard of creating a stored process then end result is that the SP will stall out on creating 3rd dataset. and the spawner just hangs. i wont get a Log because its just frozen. but if i would submit the Job regularly it would work fine.

Im not sure what client side excution options i should enable but i've done every setting for the same result.

StreamingPackageResult
YesYesFail

Yes

NoFail
NoYesFail
NoNoFail

I dont know if there is some setting in Management Console I need to enable or Parameter.

I do have the possiblility of trying to convert this Eguide project to a Data intergration studio(DIS) project.  I read that DIS has enhanced Z/os capabilities.

Any Suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Another option would be to export your EG process flow to a SAS program and then schedule that. For such a simple process, turning it into a stored process just for scheduling seems to be overkill.

CColey
Calcite | Level 5

SAS Kiwi: Would that be using SAS's Scheduler(via SMC) or Window's Scheduler?

Quentin
Super User

If you have an EG flow you like, you can schedule that.

The scheduling process depends on your SAS server etc.  With our BI server, I usually end up  writing a SAS program, then using DI studio to create a DI job which has basically one user-generate coded node that %includes the .sas file, then deploying that job as a flow, then using SMC to schedule the flow via LSF.  (It feels like far more steps than necessary, back in the day on 'nix it was just one .sas file and crontab, but perhaps this is the price of storing so much in metadata). 

This link has some scheduling tips:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2013/08/14/four-ways-to-schedule-sas-tasks/

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Either scheduler would work but SMC / LSF scheduler is easier to use as the command line stuff is all done for you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation