BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
As you can read above, no, not a institute supported one for customers.
Data never sleeps
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

As you might have gleaned, a technician at SAS build an extension as a prototype and shared it internally within SAS.  We are looking to see if it is something that can be shared externally.  If so, we'll post back.

Such prototypes are often built as proof-of-concept or demos.  As such, the quality might not be suitable for production use and the authors might be reluctant to publish as-is. Those caveats apply here. 

But as you can see from some of the replies, it is possible to build your own extension based on the source code that SAS supplies.  That might be more than you're willing to do at this point.  

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
manpreetps
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Chris for the quick reply.

AndrewHowell

Chris,

Why not put word out for client sites willing to beta-test? I'm at a site which is keen to use Git not just for source-code control, but also to mange SDLC promotion from Dev-Test-Prod.

I've played with (*.sas) code in versioning software, and am keen to test how it handles (*.spk) metadata packages, inter-object dependencies, etc.

Regards,

Andrew.

paulkaefer
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@AndrewHowell, we use version control for SAS code, and it works great. You can certainly develop a workflow for not just committing development changes at the end of the day, but also using branching and tagging in git for production-ready/tested versions. A production environment can pull approved versions from the repository.

I've done enough testing of versioning .spk files to know that, while it's not ideal (.spk are binary files, essentially a form of .zip files), it works at least to preserve versions & cover yourself in the case something corrupts or a change is made that needs to be backed out. Not sure as far as promoting an entire DI Studio process to a separate environment, but at least you can export and commit.

I do discuss version control for SAS programmers in my MWSUG 2017 paper, an update of which will be at SGF. If you're there, I would enjoy the chance to discuss further.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 12 in conversation