BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TestingSAS
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm looking into bringing version control into our production sas environment.

Anyone have experiences with GIT?  I am more interested to know if we have GIT plugin the way we have for CVS and SVN.

thanks in advance

20 REPLIES 20
pic_sas
SAS Employee

Hi,

There isnt any standard SAS Product or Add-in that supports managing DI objects through GIT repository. This feature is currently being discussed and might be a part in some future releases. But as of now - we have to manage it with CVS. 

Hoki
Calcite | Level 5

Has there has been any progress on official GIT support for SAS DI Studio since two years ago?

I had a look at creating a GIT plugin using JGIT to hook into your plugin interface.

However after reading through your documentation and examining your source code for the SVN/CVS implemetation.

I can see possible problems with the file format for the metadata..

The current persistence/export file format you are using for your source control, looks to be the standard spk export file format.

Which is a compressed binary archive file, holding subfiles(xml, properties, ...) describing the metadata exported.

Merging and version difference analysis is difficult with binary files.

The xml subfiles (e.g. TransportMetadata.xml) held in the spk are also single lined, instead of pretty print formatted.

Sounds like a minor thing, but it makes it really hard to make sense of things with standard diff tools.

Are there any plans by SAS to define new user readable xml export file formats instead of binary blobs for your SAS DI metadata??

Which makes it practical for your users to use standard source control tools on them. 

I have seen other vendors like Oracle do so for their metadata tools.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Hoki

"Are there any plans by SAS to define new user readable xml export file formats instead of binary blobs for your SAS DI metadata??"

Your .spk is actually a zip archive containing XML's. Use WinZip or the like and open the .spk and you'll see.

hamish_at_nab
Fluorite | Level 6

The source code for the SVN and CVS plugins are availble here: http://support.sas.com/rnd/gendoc/versioncontrol/43/en/

In theory these can be used to create a plugin for any other version control system (eg git). In practice I don't think it will be something I get to on the project I'm assigned to 😞 If you do get to it, please share 😄

Another alternative could be to use a hybrid of both using DIStudio to commit to SVN then scripting a "pull" from SVN into GIT.

paulkaefer
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Did anyone write a plugin, or find one that someone else developed?

sweroz
SAS Employee

Hi,

GIT Plugin for DI-Studio is available now. You can find plugin from "SAS Knowledge Sharing Application (KSA)".

paulkaefer
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks, @sweroz. Can you share a link to the plugin/KSA? I can't seem to find one.

sweroz
SAS Employee

You can find it here:

Update: took out internal link.

paulkaefer
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@sweroz, I'm not able to access that link... I tried switching "sww" to "www". I feel like this may have happened before. Is this an internal SAS link?

sweroz
SAS Employee

Yes, it is. If you have access to KSA then search for version control.

paulkaefer
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@sweroz: is the KSA something I can get access to as a non-SAS employee? Or is it a specific product that would depend on what my organization has purchased?

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi @paulkaefer,

I just confirmed that yes, this KSA is internal-only. Sorry about that. Also there's still discussion about Git integration internally, but nothing is available as of yet.

Best,

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Oooops... 🤤
Data never sleeps
manpreetps
Fluorite | Level 6

Do we have a plugin in SAS DI studio for Gitlab?  Appreciate if you can share the link. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 12 in conversation