BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BeStibolt
SAS Employee

It is always a great experience to attend SAS Global Forum, since the entire setup is much larger than we are used to in Denmark and the Nordics. Although it is very specialized, it is always possible to find presentations having content and complexity level that match your profile.

SASGF2018.jpgI chose to attend SAS Global Forum, as it is the yearly event where I get new inspiration, obtain new knowledge and thus strengthen my skills. Not least, I also expand my network, both in Denmark and abroad.

At SAS Global Forum in Denver, 6.000 SAS users, 180 from the Nordics, gathered together in one place powered by a highly professional organization. Everything from the grand opening session, the highly inspiring keynotes, the various break-out sessions, as well as the welcome registration and meals, was impressive. However, I was a bit disappointed that SAS Nordic had not arranged the tradition-bound excursion on Sunday and the Nordic dinner on Monday. It affected of course the networking part of the journey. However, a small group, including a couple of people from SAS Denmark, met and had a pleasant time nevertheless, so everything was good after all.

The break-out sessions varied in quality, both in terms of content and presenters. However, the good content made up for the less good, and there was always an alternative if you had made a "wrong" choice. If you missed a session, you can always watch the presentations afterwards on SAS Global Forum's website.

After a presentation we had the opportunity to speak with the presenters and other attendees, which was rewarding, both professionally and networking wise. Already, I have received codes from a Dutchman I had a good dialogue with.

It is indeed valuable that when you encounter a complex challenge, usually someone else has encountered the same and knows how to solve it. In fact, in my opinion, the most important output from SAS Global Forum is the personal relationships you establish.

The Quad was also a positive experience to me. I had good discussions with various R&D developers about SAS® Management Console and SAS® DI Studio. The suggestions I had were listened to and I was asked to send material to them. One of the developers sent me an email while discussing, making sure he had the correct contact information. I will send my suggestions to him, and I am excited to see the outcome.

Moreover, it was possible to speak with various SAS partners. Amongst others, I had the chance to talk to Michelle and Paul from Metacoda. Paul and I had earlier communicated with each other on the SAS® Community, so it was nice for both of us see each other face to face.

There is no doubt that in many organizations, both private and public, it is challenging to send employees to SAS Global Forum. However, we can see that the payoff of attending far outweighs the time and expenses spent.

For this reason, I can only recommend attending if you get the opportunity. Both for the sake of your company and your own professional development and network opportunities.

I Hope to see next year at SAS Global Forum in Dallas, Texas, April 28 – May 1!

Written by guest author Christian Handberg, SAS Administrator at DLR Kredit A/S

Look at the FANS program and events for Nordic SAS users! Network meetings, Platform Overview, Ask the Expert webinars, Nordic Newsletter, SAS Analytics Explorers, and campaigns.
www.sas.com/fans | #SASFANS #sasnordicusers

1 REPLY 1
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

A lovely summary @CHandberg! We enjoyed seeing you again at SASGF and look forward to seeing you again in Copenhagen soon at the SAS FANS user conference.

Thanks!

Michelle

P.S. I wholeheartedly agree about the rewards in attending SASGF. What you learn and discover, the networking opportunities and bonds with like-minded people is beneficial professionally and personally. It's worth considering for 2019 and I'd be happy to discuss further at the SAS Nordic FANS user conferences (Oslo, Copenhagen, Espoo) in June. Visit the Metacoda stand.

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 7 likes
  • 2 in conversation