BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
reachblesson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

For the OnVUE online proctored exam, can we use a large external monitor connected to the laptop while disconnecting the display of the laptop screen and using only the display of the external monitor. Will that be allowed?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark2010
SAS Employee

Editor's Note: This topic is very popular! @Mark2010's answer below addresses the original question, helped by responses from @beccagre, the original poster, and others. Scroll down to see their replies.

The confusion may be the location of the webcam. @dgritt had an external webcam that was used during the exam. When you ( @reachblesson ) told them that you were going to close the laptop, they may have assumed that your only webcam was in the laptop. If that is the case, then that is not acceptable. There needs to be a webcam to monitor you during the exam. If you have an external webcam, then you should clarify that with Pearson. But if your only webcam is in the laptop, then you will need to use the laptop monitor for your exam.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
dgritt
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, that's what I did. I kept my laptop lid closed (always do anyway) and unplugged one of my two external monitors. They'll have you use the webcam to do a 360 of the room so I recommend having an external one, separate from the one built-in to your laptop.

reachblesson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. So was the proctor okay with the laptop (with the lid closed) there near to the monitor? Did you have any other difficulty while setting up for the online proctored exam? 

Thanks,

Blesson

reachblesson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I inquired about this with a Pearson Vue chat agent and he replied :

"I apologize, however, an external monitor connected to the laptop with the laptop lid closed is not permitted."

Did you take the exam recently? I don't know why the agent said like that. It is not mentioned in their policies. From their policies, I understood that only one monitor should be used. Is there any other way to confirm this?

Mark2010
SAS Employee

Editor's Note: This topic is very popular! @Mark2010's answer below addresses the original question, helped by responses from @beccagre, the original poster, and others. Scroll down to see their replies.

The confusion may be the location of the webcam. @dgritt had an external webcam that was used during the exam. When you ( @reachblesson ) told them that you were going to close the laptop, they may have assumed that your only webcam was in the laptop. If that is the case, then that is not acceptable. There needs to be a webcam to monitor you during the exam. If you have an external webcam, then you should clarify that with Pearson. But if your only webcam is in the laptop, then you will need to use the laptop monitor for your exam.

reachblesson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply. You are right. I will mention about the external webcam explicitly  and see what they say. Also not sure whether the chat agents know about that scenario. 

reachblesson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Mark,

You were right. One chat agent replied :

"I checked the details and you can use an external monitor with an external webcam with the laptop lid closed and away from the desktop."

Hope I can trust this reply and go forward.

Thank you!

TW311
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

It's great to find this thread. I had a stressful situation in April 2020 when I was trying to start an OT exam; when I was unable to set up on my large monitor (and separate web cam) which was connected to my closed laptop - it just made no sense to me, or to the proctor. My point is the proctor was unable to help me with this situation, so I ended up having to do the exam directly on my small screened laptop, it was a terrible experience. So it all feels a little arbitrary, but technically (I'm told) there is no reason why one should not be able to do this exam on a larger monitor and with the connected laptop closed. So, right now I am debating buying a desktop especially for these exams in order to avoid a repeat of this event again in the future. The uncertainty of it all is very frustrating. Thoughts on how to get more certainty are welcomed. 

Regards, Tom    

ystaheli
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Tom, sorry to hear about your dilemma. My issue was that my MacBook is
one of the handful of models that have a faulty display cables, and mine
gave out just days before the exam. So I could only use an external
monitor. Anyways, I ended up having to borrow a computer to sit the exam.
Fortunately I managed to pass, but it was definitely more stress then I
needed.
PS9199
Calcite | Level 5
What if I connect my laptop to another Monitor and don’t tell the proctor.
Can the software or the proctor detect that I have connected another monitor and using it?
I will use an external webcam for the test.
beccagre
SAS Moderator

Hello, 

You cannot use two monitors during an exam through the online proctored system.  However, as long as you can hook up your laptop to the larger monitor and keep the laptop lid closed and position the webcam above the external monitor, it should be just fine. You can only use one monitor during the exam.  

Best of luck to you on the exam. 

ystaheli
Calcite | Level 5

I have a small issue, my Mac monitor backlight broke so i have to use an external monitor with the laptop lid open, so I can use the keyboard, trackpad and camera. Would this be an issue, even if I will be mirroring the displays? Otherwise I will have to go and buy a keyboard, mouse and webcam.

beccagre
SAS Moderator

Hello, 

If you are taking one of our performance-based exams that uses a lab environment then you will not be able to use the Mac to take the exam.  Those exams do not work with a Mac.  In addition, you cannot have a setup like you describe and be allowed to take the exam.  The recommendation would be to find a PC laptop to use to take the exam.  

Mark2010
SAS Employee

As of Sept 21, 2020 - I am happy to announce that Macs can now be used for all SAS certification exams.

Jahsahnwali1
Calcite | Level 5
If I close my laptop then everything turns off. How can I keep the display on the attached monitor when laptop is closed?

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 8 in conversation