BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasnitie
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am new here in this forum. firstly PFB my profile:

1st class BTECH IT graduate. after that 32 months of work experience in Cognizant (BFSI domain) with JAVA, oracle technology.

1st class MBA post graduate from NITIE(a top 10 ranked B school in india)

Post MBA work experience 2 months.

Current role: ERP consulting with Oracle products for a global semiconductor manufacturing client.

I work in a small boutique consulting firm.

I have strong Communication skills and analytical skills. Even though I have good exposure in coding and DB, now I do not want to make a career in technical roles.

My current role is little bit technical. I have inclination towards analytics,

I have used SPSS, R, Tableau at a beginner level. Also studied subjects like data mining, BI, statistics as a part of BTECH and MBA course.

My queries:

1. Can I shift my career from ERP consulting to Analytics consulting?

2. Even if I shift I dont not want a deep dive into core technical work I want a management role with analytics expertise.

Is it possible?

3. If yes, then how to go about it? which course shall I enroll in? and how do you get a job post certification/training?

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Personally, for a management role in analytics I want someone who was an data analyst. 

Occasionally you find someone who understands data and questions that need to be asked who wasn't an analyst but it's rare. 

If if you want to learn analysis SAS has the first statistical course for free - see SAS Analytics U forum page. Or check Coursera for free analytics courses. If you want certification both SAS and Coursera offer certification in data science which is probably what you want. 

Good Luck!

sasnitie
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your prompt reply.But, how do I shift my career into analytics as currently I am in a different role and do not have analytics experience or skills. aso will free course from coursera, will those be accepted by global employers?
Reeza
Super User

If you want to move into analytics you need to first learn it, then gain experience.

1. To learn, consider using Coursera or the SAS course

2. To demonstrate experience, without work experience I'd either blog or show experience by presenting at SAS user groups or any other Data Science groups. Check what's available in your area. An additional suggestion would be to approach your employer and express your interest in analytics projects. Perhaps they'd support your migration to a different area?

3. Make sure to link to LinkedIn for your projects, you can also add both Coursera or SAS certification to LinkedIn as well.

Is Data Science certificate accepted by global employers? Well, the course is via John Hopkins so it does have some prestige, but SAS certification is definitely accepted by global employers. To be honest, these days certification is less important, there's more push for ability to learn and demonstrate that learning, either via presentations or blogging. Especially if you want to work in Silicon Valley.

sasnitie
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the detailed response. I will start the free courses in coursera very soon. the data scientist tool box course would be great. One last query.

in SAS website, there wre many certifications. I am not sure how to choose a certification.

As I already mentioned I need a profile which is less techincal, less coding and more business oriented.

http://support.sas.com/certify/

please look at this url.

thank you very much.

Mark2010
SAS Employee

All of the SAS certifications are going to be technical in nature. But if you want to be an Analytics consultant, you will need to have some good technical skills. I would recommend either the Statistical Business Analyst credential (SAS University Edition software can be used to prepare for this credential) or the Predictive Modeling use SAS Enterprise Miner credential.

Sincerely,

Mark

SAS Global Certification

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation