BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
huwenhuo
Fluorite | Level 6

I recently passed the test of base and advanced SAS certifications with reasonble scores, but not very high. Do the scores really matter in job hunting? if I should try again go get the high score? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

No one asks for the scores, only if you passed. Certifications don't even get that much weight to be honest, it's value is making it easier for HR to be able to weed in/out people, but most managers will look beyond the presence of certification. 

I've worked with certified programmers who couldn't solve a programming problem but could do tests. I've worked with non certified programmers who could code applications in their sleep. Experience, paid/unpaid but clearly communicated will get the interview. Plus we just test the programmers ourselves 🙂 

I use a model similar to this, except for R/Python we prefer SAS but I also include it open to any language.  I'll hire someone if they have the logical skills. Someone can learn SAS, especially if they already know another language. 

http://tcbanalytics.com/blog/testing-data-skills.html#.WGwe11UrLRY

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

No one asks for the scores, only if you passed. Certifications don't even get that much weight to be honest, it's value is making it easier for HR to be able to weed in/out people, but most managers will look beyond the presence of certification. 

I've worked with certified programmers who couldn't solve a programming problem but could do tests. I've worked with non certified programmers who could code applications in their sleep. Experience, paid/unpaid but clearly communicated will get the interview. Plus we just test the programmers ourselves 🙂 

I use a model similar to this, except for R/Python we prefer SAS but I also include it open to any language.  I'll hire someone if they have the logical skills. Someone can learn SAS, especially if they already know another language. 

http://tcbanalytics.com/blog/testing-data-skills.html#.WGwe11UrLRY

huwenhuo
Fluorite | Level 6

Good to know. 

I have experience of quite a few years in bioinformatics with R. Acutally I have other programming skills as well, I am pretty good in Bash, Perl, a little bit on Python/java .... 

I have a PhD and trying to move toward data analytics but don't want to go with something like datainsight for three months. And I love SAS, so I am just taking multiple tests for SAS data analytics. And I really feel the score is not that critical. I read documents for the tests but I don't even go through the large example questions, I feel a lot of these questions are just for ood scores. 

Mark2010
SAS Employee

A few points on exam scores:

• Once you pass a SAS exam, you can't take it again, so it is a bit of a moot point.
  • No one knows your score except you. Any of the means of sharing your certification status (via the public directory, your digital badge, or publishing a credential verification from the SAS Certification Records Management System) will only show you as 'certified' and will not show your exam score.
  • From a psychometric/exam design perspective, our tests are designed as a pass/fail instrument, Getting into the theory of test design, we are attempting to measure a latent variable, your skill, with an exam. Your exam score is an observed score, which is an estimate of your true score. There is some error in that observed score. The exams are not designed to indicate that a specific higher score is better than another, say a 90% vs. an 87%. Certainly it feels better to score a 90% than a 70%, and I won't try to argue with that, but if anyone gives you grief about your specific score, know that our effort (working with our subject matter experts and data from beta exams) is focused on the cut line that defines a minimally qualified candidate, and not defining the "A" candidate, "B" candidate, "C" candidate etc. Some IT certifications don't report an exam score for this very reason.

Also reminds me of a joke:

What do you call the medical student who graduates at the bottom of his class?

Answer:

Doctor.

Hope that helps.

Mark Stevens

Sr Exam Developer

SAS Global Certification

huwenhuo
Fluorite | Level 6

I accept Reeza the as right solution. Sorry Mark2010, you both satisfy me on this but you are SAS employee ... 

I like your joke, Mark2010. 

Many thanks to both. 

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 3 in conversation