BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
antonbcristina
SAS Employee

Join us for this 12-week series to prepare to take a Base Programming Certification exam. We'll cover the SAS Programming 1: Essentials and SAS Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques courses, as well as general exam preparation.  

We’re excited to kick-off our series next week. We’ll meet every Wednesday from Sep 4 – Nov 20, 2024, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. EST. Our weekly live online sessions will include demos, Q&A, and discussions. On your own schedule, complete e-learning videos and exercises. Attend at least eight live sessions and complete the e-learning to receive a free certification voucher! 

Read more about this series here and register by 12 pm EST on Aug 30th, 2024 

As you navigate through the series, we encourage you to use this post to ask any questions and collaborate with other attendees.   

8 REPLIES 8
antonbcristina
SAS Employee

Today is our first day and we're excited to welcome over 300 attendees for our first session of the series. We’ll walk you through an overview of the Certification Series, provide you with resources and a GAP Overview, and start covering some content right away. See you all at 4:30 pm! 

antonbcristina
SAS Employee

Welcome back to class today! To ensure you’re ready for this week’s discussion, please complete the following from Programming 1: Essentials: 

• Lesson 1.3 | practices, activities 
  • Lesson 2 | practices, activities 
  • Lesson 3 | e-learning (lectures only, no practices/activities) 

We're happy to answer any question you might have as you're going through the content. See you all in class! 

antonbcristina
SAS Employee

Glad to have you all back for Week 4! Rachel will lead tomorrow’s session with a focus on Lesson 4: Preparing Data. We’ll get practice with the DATA step and learn how to use it wisely for our data processing. To best prepare for class, please review the following from Programming 1: Essentials:  

• Lesson 3 | all | practices, activities 
  • Lesson 4 | all | e-learning  

Please post any questions that come up as you're going through the content. See you all tomorrow! 

OliviaOk
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @antonbcristina I am currently working on lesson 6 and I am stuck at the first activity, I went through the steps to create a macro variable named outpath and I didn't see any error or confirmation that it worked in the log. When I try to export the csv file as required I keep getting an error about not specifying a file or table even though I have my macro variable outpath specified in the code. I've attached images, the first one is my log from running the code to set a macro variable, the second screenshot is my code to export the CSV file and the third screenshot is the log from running the code to export a csv file.

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 18.33.52.pngScreenshot 2024-09-26 at 18.34.20.pngScreenshot 2024-09-26 at 18.34.31.png

antonbcristina
SAS Employee

Hi @OliviaOk, you're on the right track! When you submit a %LET statement to create a macro variable, you will not see any messages in the LOG. That macro variable is "quietly" created and it is storing the value you specified.  

The issue I see with your code is that you are seeing an ERROR message right after the PROC EXPORT DATA= statement. It hasn't even reached the part where you are using your macro variable. The reason for this is that you have too many semicolons (being interpreted as the end of statements).  Notice in the syntax example above your code that the PROC EXPORT statement ends with one semicolon after the REPLACE option, 3 lines later. 

TLDR: there's nothing wrong with the macro variable definition or use, the ERROR comes from having extra semicolons in your code and I've highlighted them below. 

antonbcristina_1-1727454905241.png

OliviaOk
Calcite | Level 5
Ohhh, thank you so much. Can’t believe I missed that.
antonbcristina
SAS Employee

No worries! That's what we're here for. Hopefully this helps others too 😊

antonbcristina
SAS Employee

Good afternoon everyone, and welcome back for another week of SAS Programming! Today’s session will focus on the analysis and reporting of data. Review the following materials from Programming 1: Essentials in preparation: 

• Lesson 4 | all | practices, activities 
  • Lesson 5 | all | e-learning  

Bring all your questions to class or post them here. See you all very soon! 

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation