BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mjb7
Calcite | Level 5

I am currently studying to take my first (BASE) exam. I called a local Pearson Vue testing site and was surprised at the amount of invasive procedures taken to verify identity.

I took about 10 Microsoft certifications in the late 90's and I would need to sign in and show 2 pieces of ID. If I needed to use the restroom during the test it was okay (but needed to hurry as the clock was running). No problems with Drake Prometric at all.

Now PV and others require to empty all pockets an put all in a locker, pull out the insides of you pockets, take your picture, do a finger print scan several times, take off glasses for inspection, wave a wand around your body, roll up your sleeves... etc... Ridiculous!

There are several video camera's in the room recording and monitoring video and sound so people can't copy screen or voice out questions without being noticed. And a person's photo ID and signature should be enough to validate the person. I am having second thoughts about going through all this hassle.

I started looking into the at-home testing instead. Actually I called PV first because I thought that the at-home exam might be to invasive. I see that I need to download the PV software and have my webcam and microphone enabled (I normally have them both turned off for security reasons).

Here are my questions (finally):

What has been your experience taking an exam at an onsite testing facility?

Does the at-home test proctor have complete control of your laptop or just the PV browser and webcom and microphone?

I read somewhere where you are required to take pictures of the room you plan on taking the test in, is this true? If so, do you need to create a special testing place where there is no furniture, etc...?

Did you have any privacy or security concerns when taking on site or at home?

I think I read that you cant use the bathroom while taking an at-home test, true?

Do you get the results of your test immediately upon completion?

Thanks for your responses in advance,

mjb7

1 REPLY 1
Mark2010
SAS Employee
Hi. I'm Mark and I work for SAS Certification.
I've taken exams at Pearson, and your description is accurate, but I don't find it ridiculous, while I respect your perspective. These are pretty standard procedures for third party test proctoring to ensure the integrity of the exam attempt. Happy for others in the community to provide their perspective.

Visit pearsonvue.com/SAS/op for a video of the Online Proctoring (at home) experience.

It is true that for Online Proctoring, you cannot take breaks, you need to be in the view of the camera for the duration of the exam.

You do get your exam results at the end of your exam.

Thanks,
Mark

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation