BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is locked. We are no longer accepting replies to this topic. Need further help? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jeelanisyed
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

Could you please help me in getting answers for below questions 

1. I'm a SAS Platform Administrator.  I would like to know if the 3 free courses mentioned/available for free on the SAS Academy for Data Science suitable for me ?

2. Is there any order in completing the course ? or Can someone complete the AI&M course without completing the Advanced Analytics and data curation ?

3. Is it easy for the Admin background person with less knowledge in SAS Coding, to switch into Data science related roles. If yes, please suggest some learning path.

1 REPLY 1
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
The SAS Academy for Data Science is a multi-level package consisting of multiple classes organized into different levels -- right now, we have made all 3 LEVELS (LEVELS, not courses) available during the Free Trial. The levels are independent of each other. You do NOT have to take the Advanced Analytics level before taking the AI&ML or the Data Curation level. However, if you want to earn the Data Scientist credential, then you MUST take the Data Curation exam and all the exams in 1 of the Analytic levels.

Each level is composed of multiple classes and some levels have the classes organized into multiple modules. The current Free Trial provides you access to all 18 classes, as outlined below:
Data Curation level has 4 classes;
Advanced Analytics level has 9 classes organized into 3 modules;
AI&ML level has 5 classes organized into 3 modules.

We do not intend for students and certification candidates to study all 18 classes during the free trial. The way to earn the Data Scientist credential is to finish 2 levels, as described below.
Level 1: Data Curation Level (4 classes - 1 exam) Everyone takes this Level.
Then, for Level 2, the student has 2 choices:
Level 2, Option 1: Advanced Analytics Professional Level -- focuses more on SAS coding and SAS Enterprise Miner/SAS Text Miner components (this level has 9 classes, 3 exams);
OR
Level 2, Option 2: AI&ML Professional Level -- focuses more on SAS Viya and SAS Visual Analytics components (this level has 5 classes, 3 exams).

The factors that determine whether you pursue Advanced Analytics or AI&ML should be determined by what software you think you will have access to after you earn your credential and/or what software components you want to learn. We can't really tell you if the courses are suitable for you. There was an Olympic athlete who did not have any programming background who earned her Data Science credential. My guess is that she needed to take some classes beyond the basic Data Science classes to work with the material in the program. Do you have a background in statistics? Do you have experience in using SAS for programming? Are you very strong in math skills? Are you motivated to learn the material?

We do not intend for the candidate to take the exams for all 3 levels. To earn the Data Scientist credential everyone must take and pass the Data Curation exam and then choose ONE of the Level 2 Analytic Levels. When we teach these classes in the classroom we typically cover the Data Curation level first, followed by the Analytic level next. However, it is possible to do the studies by taking the AI&ML or the Advanced Analytics level first. After you take and pass the 3 exams for your Analytic Level, you will still have that credential. You will just not earn the Data Scientist credential until after you take and pass the Data Curation exam.

Before you start the work in the classes, we recommend some experience with SAS programming, to the level of Programming 1, Programming 2, SQL 1, Macro Language 1 and Statistics 1. The Programming 1 and Statistics 1 are primarily the level of SAS coding and use of SAS/STAT procedures before you start the Analytics level. The other programming classes come into play in the Data Curation level and the Advanced Analytics level.

For understanding the concepts in the Analytics levels we think the material is best suited to those with a master’s degree or higher in a quantitative or technical field -- but it is not required. A background with Math and Statistics or work experience in those areas will be very relevant. My recommendation is that you take some time during the free trial to review the classes and see how comfortable you feel with the analytic concepts and level of work.

Hope this helps. Perhaps others will add to this discussion and explain their background and their opinion.

Cynthia