BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HaroldVasquez
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am not able to start the video player lectures for the SAS Programming 1 course.  I have tried all recommendations (different browsers, check my system, etc).  I use a macOS computer.  The player won't start and it will stay like this:

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.32.03 AM.png

Please, advice.

9 REPLIES 9
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
Typically, when you get a white empty screen like you show above or sometimes a black error screen like this:

vl_black_error_screen.png

It is a sign of needing to have the BrightCove ports and domains enabled by your network administrator. The following domains and ports https://support.brightcove.com/domains-and-ports-must-be-accessible-video-cloud must be accessible from your browser.

Sometimes you can switch to a different browser (IE, Firefox or Chrome; Safari on a Mac -- NOT Microsoft Edge) and the course will play better under a different browser. If you continue to get a white empty screen or a black screen, that points to a BrightCove port/domain issue.

If you are ALSO seeing this message about reaching the progress-tracking server like this:

progress_tracking_error_movieplay.png

then that is a different issue. Sometimes clicking OK will force a new connection to the e-learning server. However, sometimes clicking OK just causes this message to popup up repeatedly. If you see the Progress-Tracking message, send mail to training@sas.com and we can direct you about more troubleshooting.

However, just the empty white screen and no video playing or the black screen points to a BrightCove port and domain issue that has to be fixed at your end of things.

Cynthia

HaroldVasquez
Calcite | Level 5
Dear Cynthia,

I am trying to access the video from a home internet connection. How do I
make those "BrightCove ports and domains enable" or accessible from my
browser?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
It depends on your operating system and your firewall. The link in my first response says what ports and domains need to be allowed.
These are the methods I Googled for both Windows and Mac:
Windows: https://www.howtogeek.com/394735/how-do-i-open-a-port-on-windows-firewall/

Macintosh: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-open-specific-ports-in-os-x-1010-firewall-3616405...

Cynthia
HaroldVasquez
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Cynthia,

I am not sure that the instructions to open the ports are clear enough.  I don't see how from the following steps I can open a particular/specific port:

1. Open Terminal (Go > Utilites).
  2. Enter sudo pfctl -vnf /etc/pf.conf

To open the port at system startup use sudo nano /etc/pf.conf and add the sudo pfctl -vnf /etc/pf.conf to this pf.conf file.

Reeza
Super User
I'm on a MAC OS and no issues on my side, so it's not a Mac issue. Do you have any browser extensions enabled, specifically ad blockers?
HaroldVasquez
Calcite | Level 5

I have disconnected/close all browser extensions as far as I know, and I tried with different browsers.  But still, I am stuck

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Are you seeing the Progress Tracking error popup window or not? If yes, then please send mail to training@sas.com or elearn@sas.com for more direct help.

If you are seeing either the white screen or the black screen, as you show, those are typically BrightCove issues, but could also be caused by not allowing JavaScript, ad-blockers, security restrictions, etc. Have you tried the course on a different computer? If you are using a computer at work have you tried a computer at home? Most of the issues that students experience with the display of videos are for the reasons I've already mentioned. I really suggest you send mail to us for more one-on-one help.

Cynthia

FabioMiyahara
Calcite | Level 5
Did you solve the problem? I have a similar issue
FabioMiyahara
Calcite | Level 5

I have fix my problem. Time zone was different in preferences section. Just changed to the right time/location and everything are right again!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

LIBNAME 101

Follow along as SAS technical trainer Dominique Weatherspoon expertly answers all your questions about SAS Libraries.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation