BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shrriam
Calcite | Level 5

Can i run my Base SAS codes for Hadoop using SAS EP (Embedded Process) ?

Or do i have to first convert those Base Codes to DS2 with the help PROC DS2 and only then can i use SAS EP? 

3 REPLIES 3
AnandVyas
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @shrriam ,

This document lists out requirements and restrictions for Data step in Hadoop.

shrriam
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response !! 

The document says , " If you have installed and activated the SAS Embedded Process on a Hadoop cluster, it is possible for DATA step code to be executed in parallel against the input data residing on the HDFS file system. " 

Does it mean , It allows the normal Base SAS codes to run with SAS EP ?  I was confirmed from SAS that EP is widely for DS2 performance enhancements , we may have to convert the codes to DS2 in order to leverage the performance . 

AnandVyas
Ammonite | Level 13
Yes, your base sas code has to ref to the libref pointing to HDFS as input and output library. In a general scenario, you don't have to convert your code to DS2. Below link gives you an overview on when to use DS2.

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=ds2ref&docsetTarget=p1shb3eskw9xh9n1orhpgt608it7.htm&docsetV...

It's true that EP is used for performance enhancements using in-database processing or parllel loading of Data if you have SAS High performance analytics cluster. It would vary from case to case basis. If SAS has recommended to convert to DS2 for performance improvement, then you should give it a shot and test it out.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation