BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
choi041
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I am trying to study for the SAS course Programming 1 essentials and Programming 2 Data manipulation technique. 

However when I was going over the programming tools the only SAS program I have access to is the "Hands On lab", and I can't find any place to download the program for SAS studio or SAS enterprise guide. 

I am so confused where I'm supposed to start, what to download, what to pay for. 

If anyone could provide me with links or step by step instructions on what I am supposed to do, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
MarkusWeick
Barite | Level 11

Hi @choi041 ,

sas ondemand for academics (https://welcome.oda.sas.com/) is a webbased sas studio application. So you don't need to download it. You can access it with your sas user profile for free. Just try it.

For an introduction into SAS studio have a look at https://video.sas.com/detail/video/4573016757001/getting-started-with-sas-studio.

Best, Markus

Please keep the community friendly.
Like posts you agree with or like. Mark helpful answers as “accepted solutions”. Generally have a look at https://communities.sas.com/t5/Getting-Started/tkb-p/community_articles
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Please read the Course Overview and Data Setup section that is one of the first sections in the Programming 1 course. When you use the "Hands-On Lab" you are using SAS Studio on a Virtual Lab server where the data is ALREADY set up for you. There is not any need to download anything to your local machine or upload anything to the server. The Hands-On Lab is ready to go. All of your class files are in the S:\workshop\EPG1V2 folder, after you log into the Virtual Lab.

There are OTHER instructions in the Course Overview and Data Setup sections. The other instructions are designed for 2 different groups of students:

1) students who are using SAS Studio with SAS OnDemand for Academics and

2) students who are using SAS through a work or school license (not in the Hands-On Lab, not on SAS OnDemand).

There are Enterprise Guide instructions in the Course Overview section, just like there are Windowing Environment instructions in the Course Overview section and SAS Studio instructions for group #2, but ONLY for group #2. If you do not have access to SAS through work or school then your choices are to either use the Hands-On Lab and those instrucitons where everything is set up for your or to get a SAS OnDemand for Academics account and follow those instructions.

We have instructions for each separate method of practicing. You need to follow ONLY the instructions for the method that you use. In the Course Overview and Data Setup section of the course, you find 5 different sets of instructions. Students do NOT follow all 5 sets of instructions, they pick one set, the set that describes how they will be using SAS to practice and they follow those instructions.

Here's what that section looks like in the course:

Cynthia_sas_0-1722110912149.png

If you do not otherwise have access to SAS through work or school, then you should choose from one of the top 2 choices showing on that screen as the instructions to follow.

Also note, there is 1 practice that provides separate instructions for Enterprise Guide users. If you do NOT have EG through work or school, then you do NOT follow those instructions. Please read the instructions and the note at the top of the slide:

Cynthia_sas_1-1722111160010.png

Especially note where the instructions say that students only open 1 of these practices. The EG instructions are for EG students, who are using EG through a work or school license. The SAS Studio instructions are intended for all the other students to follow.

I hope this clarifies that the Hands-On lab is already set up for you so there is no need to download or upload anything.

Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation