BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Martin_Bryant
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I'm learning to use the GMAP functionality but I can't work out how to control the height of the BLOCK. My GMAP code is...

goptions device=png Hsize=40cm Vsize=40cm;

proc gmap gout=region_data data=region_data map=uk_map_w_region all;
id id map_region;
block thing / blocksize=1 legend=legend2 woutline=1;
area map_region / legend=legend1;
run;

And this is my result...

Map of the UKMap of the UK

I know that there are a lot of blocks but I'd really like to make them all about 5% of the height that they currently are so that we can actually see the rest of the map.

How can I do this? 

6 REPLIES 6
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

The relzero option might help (depending on your data).

But the 3d block/bar map functionality is very limited, and I don't recommend it for any serious data analytics.

Martin_Bryant
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks. I'll try that. If the block is so limited, what do you recommend I try as an alternative?

Generally speaking I want UK maps, one area per LA (local authority), grouped into regions (which currently works well) and then one block / measurement per LA. Happy to try a number of solutions. Currently using SAS EG 7.
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Rather than trying to show 2 things on the map at once (one with the area color, and one with the bar height), use 2 separate maps (a separate map for each thing).

Martin_Bryant
Quartz | Level 8
Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but that isn't what we are looking to do. Regions are important as much as the data points. I don't think that this should be beyond the wit of man and I'm pretty sure that Excel can do it. Seems odd that SAS isn't capable. - Martin
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Post up your Excel map when you get that worked out - I'd like to see how they handle it! 🙂

Martin_Bryant
Quartz | Level 8
Not sure I can upload work files to the web. Especially not with our data in. I might well post a review of the process. My personal laptop runs Linux and so I don't use Excel on that, but I'll post what I can. 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation