BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sperry
Calcite | Level 5

How to restore a user repository

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

I personally agree with the suggestion and remarks from @anja.

There is not such a function to restore an specific project repository from a user. You can only roll back your whole metadata, main repositories.

Other actions/workarounds, as exporting a checked out item from a previous folder, it might work, but risky.

Better you contact and align with SAS technical support.

Worst case scenario, I think it would be to identify the checked out items and redo the work, which could be speed-up a lot if the user has a view to the previous version, before the "corruption"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Do you mean in metadata?  If so, then just use the Metadata Manager in SAS Management Console to restore from last working backup.

Metadata Manager --> Metadata Utilities --> Backup

Select last known good backup and right-click. Select "restore from this backup".  Add comments and then click Ok.

sperry
Calcite | Level 5

Can I select only 1 repository to restore? I don't not want to retore Foundation.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hmm, not sure about that. I've only ever had users stored in Foundation repository and I've never worked with additional repositories.

The backup should restore everything in metadata, even multiple repositories. I don't think it distinguishes between repositories, and if it did, I would imagine the restore only restores the metadata for the repository context that you currently have selected (but not sure about this)
anja
SAS Employee

Hi there,

as far as I know, restoring just one repository without restoring Foundation is not supported. It might be possible, however, not restoring Foundation could break some associations, which then would mean that you could not use the custom/project respository anymore.

Foundation "holds" all the associations and informations - all Metadata - that are used in "user" repositories.

Before proceeding with a restore, contacting Tech Sup would probably be helpful to make sure it is fully supported - and save.

Thanks

Anja

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
What you could at least in 9.2 was to restore to a separate (new) configuration directory. Export the needed content from there, and import it to the original environment.
Either way, it requires quite an effort. Is it really worth it? Maybe it's easier to just undo checkout and rebuild. Doing it the second time usually goes faster.
Data never sleeps
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

I personally agree with the suggestion and remarks from @anja.

There is not such a function to restore an specific project repository from a user. You can only roll back your whole metadata, main repositories.

Other actions/workarounds, as exporting a checked out item from a previous folder, it might work, but risky.

Better you contact and align with SAS technical support.

Worst case scenario, I think it would be to identify the checked out items and redo the work, which could be speed-up a lot if the user has a view to the previous version, before the "corruption"

sperry
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks All. I did not think it was possible, but it was requested, so I had to ask. And I suggested that all developers get up close and personal with "Export SAS Package".

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Meaning that they will do their own backups?
Sounds awkward and unreliable.
Better if they keep a minimum of objects checked out, and check in any objects that have been edited / tested.
You might want to consider version control, like CVS.
Data never sleeps

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation