BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8

We have a lot of table sitting on LASR server and we obviously want to do some clean up. But, before we go about cleaning up LASR server I would like to know what jobs, procs, programs, person or object is using those LASR tables. It would help us making decision about what tables can be dropped from LASR. I tried bunch of stuffs and for some of the LASR tables I got the list of jobs that are using them. But there are still a lot of tables for which I believe there's no DIS job that are using them. Just wondering if there's a easy way to answer following questions about these LASR tables. Who created these tables? What objects are using these tables (i.e. DIS job, stored procedure, sas program etc.) ? How frequently they are referenced/ used? What tables are never referenced/ used by anyone?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
alexal
SAS Employee

@Alok_Pal,

That can be easily identified if you started the LASR server with a "logging" option. In that case, you can examine the LASR server log file and see who, when, and how often started the actions on the LASR tables. A while ago I've built the utility for parsing the LASR logs, I can upload it to GitHub if you want.

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, please do that. That would really help.

Thank you.

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks alexal. I may be asking for too much but is it possible to get a readme file or any documentation about how to execute this code.
alexal
SAS Employee

@Alok_Pal,

For example:

python3.6 lasrlog.py /Users/alexal/Downloads/LASR.1332805759.98431.saslasr.log 20

This command prints 20 actions from the log sorted by run time. 

usage: lasrlog.py [-h] [-c HOWMANY]
[-s {id,pid,sastime,time,user,rawcmd,tablename,statusmsg,runtime}]
[-r REVERSE] [-g GREATERTHAN] [-coloring COLORING]
file

positional arguments:
file The path to actions file

optional arguments:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-c HOWMANY, --howmany HOWMANY
How many actions needs to be printed after sorting? By
default 10.
-s {id,pid,sastime,time,user,rawcmd,tablename,statusmsg,runtime}, --sortby {id,pid,sastime,time,user,rawcmd,tablename,statusmsg,runtime}
Sort by specific field. By default sorting by runtime.
Possible values are: id, pid, sastime, time, user,
rawcmd, tablename, statusmsg, runtime
-r REVERSE, --reverse REVERSE
This is using to flag descending sorts (boolean
value), by default True.
-g GREATERTHAN, --greaterthan GREATERTHAN
Print actions with run time greater or equals
specified value
-coloring COLORING, --coloring COLORING

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

Also have a look at the VA Admin Guide http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/va/7.3/en/vaag.pdf on page 121 it gives you more information about predefined admin reports and how to switch on the data collection.

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks Bruno_SAS. That was really helpful.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation